Fuel economy myths

Page 7 of 7
wrote in message

Untill overdrive became commom, appx 40 mph was well known as the highest efficieny speed on the bricks design wise being driven then. as bodies became more areodimanic the higher the reasonable lower end speed became. KB
--
Thunder Snake #9
"Protect" your rights or "lose" them.

Lower speed limits don't always translate in lower fatality rate, as these sites seem to indicate.
http://www.hwysafety.com/hwy_montana_2001.htm http://www.stateline.org/live/ViewPage.action?siteNodeId 6&languageId=1&contentId621 http://www.motorists.org/pressreleases/home/montana-no-speed-limit-safety-paradox /

I haven't seen any comparative figures on speed vs mileage, but I'm sure the most efficient speed for higher boxy vehicles (SUV & truck) is lower than for lower better streamlined vehicles (cars)