Fuel-efficient 4WD vehicle ?

Can you drive a stick? My 88 S-10 hits 27mpg with 4x4 and a 5 speed.

Reply to
Eugene

I'm in the process of looking for 4 wheel drive car that is good on fuel and is easy to maneuver in tight areas such as a city or parking garage. I currently have a '97 Chevy K1500 full-sized pickup w/ ext. cab, 8' bed. I'll be doing much of my work in the city and dealing with the tight areas of parking garages and small parking lots has proven to be a big PITA for the behemoth I currently have. Also, it gets 13-14mpg; I end up spending about $120-160 per month on gas.

If possible, I'd like to get another GM (it would allow me to put the points I accumulated on my card towards a new GM vehicle). But if not, thats fine. I am looking for recommendations for a 4WD car (perhaps or perhaps not a truck) that, as I said, is easy to maneuver in the smaller areas I mentioned. I'm open to any hybrids as well. Thanks!

--john

Reply to
John Sasso

From what you say that you would like I would go with a Tracker. It's not a car but after driving a full size truck it'll feel small to you.

Brian

Reply to
NoSpam

Hi, Get a Diesel. Jeep Liberty just came out with a Diesel flavor,

If you get a Silverado 6.5L Turbo Diesel, Auto w/OD, 4X4 with the 3.08 gears you may get 20 mpg at 65 mpg.

If you wanted a used vehicle, there are used Government and Military full size Blazer 4X4s with the 6.2L Diesel engines. They should get 18 mpg.

My wife has a nice 1997 S-10 Blazer LS 4X4 we purchased from the State Police Auction. It has all the heavy duty options and does not do too bad on gas. It is actually quite quick if we step down hard on the gas pedal. It has the 4.3L V-6 with 4L60E transmission. It gets at least 18 mpg.

Reply to
Jon Rodman

That's actually not that good for a V6, my 1999 K1500 with a 5.7 liter gets

16 MPG around town, over 21 MPG on the highway. We had a 1998 Tracker 4 cyl 4x4 that got over 27 MPG around town. You should be some where in the middle I would think.

Brian

Reply to
NoSpam

Since you are considering a car and don't indicate heavy off road use, look at a Pontiac Vibe or a Saturn Vue. These will get you the maneuverability and will be decent on gas. The Vibe is a little under powered but will work for the city

Reply to
WhyDoYouAsk

Buy a Subaru.

Reply to
clevere

my cousin works for a small garage in MD. He's come up to my place a couple times and always wants to go in the big subaru garage and apply. Tells me Subaru mechanics have great job security.

Reply to
Eugene

I just got a 2001 Chevy Tracker 2dr 4wd soft top. It's quiet, smooth and fun. Plus the back top comes off so you can still carry stuff too. The soft top can be replaced with a removable hard top for ~$1000.

Reply to
Tim Dolan

My thanks to all that responded! After having looked at the specs on the Chevy Tracker, Pontiac Vibe, Saturn Vue, and Subara Outbacks, I'm going to start looking at the Subaru Outback and Pontiac Vibe further, given their support for AWD and relatively excellent fuel economy.

I know of a few people who have owned an Outback, and I will ask them what they think of the vehicle. Thanks!

--john

Reply to
John Sasso