Fuel line into Rochester 4 bbl. carb leaking

This retired, opinionated, do-it-yourselfer has 33 years experience building hydraulic systems for a major construction equipment and farm tractor munufacturer. I know something about hydraulics and hydraulic lines. You obviously don't. H

Reply to
Hairy

I got it! The slipery teflon allows the fitting to blow apart easier?

Reply to
Tony Miklos

Round is stronger than square.

Reply to
Tony Miklos

What is really scary is that the low pressure from the fuel pump is causing it to leak! That has to be one f'ed up fitting! I'm trying not to picture the teflon tape on brake lines. "Oh the humanity!"

Reply to
Tony Miklos

Ok, I'll buy that. Got anything to back it up (links?) Started rereading some of my books and that backs it up...

Ray

Reply to
Ray

I'm not advocating it:

I do it as a fail safe on any jointm flare, double flare and compression.

Overkill is better than hindsight.

I replace over 50 brake lines a year, never a leak or a loss.

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish_King1

I must know something about hydraulics:

I build frame machines and wrecker bodies.

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish_King1

Not always. For bolts that are torqued to x foot-pounds, do you add an extra 20% for safety? If you do, you probably have a large collection of stripped fasteners. Just because you think it's a good idea doesn't always mean it's right. :)

(that said, it seems you can get away with teflon tape on flare fittings, but my experience has been it's unneeded and often directly contradicts the instructions that came with the equipment.)

Ray

Reply to
Ray

Leak solved with installation of new fuel pipe. Presumably old one was overtightened + deformed flare. Installing new fuel pipe is PITA ... 3/8" pipe is tough to bend + match up with old one. Thanks to all posters ... especially devotees of teflon tape ; >

-JS

Reply to
QuestionAuthority