Fuel line into Rochester 4 bbl. carb leaking

Page 2 of 2
Tony Miklos wrote:

Started rereading some of my books and that backs it up...
Ray
QuestionAuthority wrote:

I'm not sure by your wording, but the nut and the outside of the flare are NOT where the seal should be. The seal is made between the inside of the flare and the mating surface of the fitting on the carb. The nut only holds the two pieces together.
The nut doesn't make the seal, although by adding the teflon tape, you are attempting to make the nut make the seal. Take it apart and check the proper mating surfaces for defects. And as mentioned in another post, did you use a wrench desinged for flared pipes? If not, the nut can easily become deformed and not be able to do it's job.
--
Tony

I always thought the teflon tape was just 'anti-seize' on the flare nut. Am I missing something??
Regards, Al.

Yes....No mechanic that's worth a damn would ever put thread tape on a flare nut. If you think you need anti-seize on the threads, then just use anti-seize.
humph...I must not be worth a damn...but yet get return customers, ,and referrals. Ah well, I guess a blind squirrel gets a nut every now and again...

Yes!
Us blind squirrels get some nuts as opposed to opionated do it your selfers at times. I dont use the tape on the nut, I use it on the flare it self!
Refinish King

I must know something about hydraulics:
I build frame machines and wrecker bodies.
Refinish King

Leak solved with installation of new fuel pipe. Presumably old one was overtightened + deformed flare. Installing new fuel pipe is PITA ... 3/8" pipe is tough to bend + match up with old one. Thanks to all posters ... especially devotees of teflon tape ; > -JS
On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 22:54:41 GMT, "Refinish_King1"