Fuel line replacement options? Also losing coolant question

Ok, 2 questions in 1 message here. :)

1994 Chevy Lumina sedan 3.1:

First off is what are my options for replacing fuel line (besides the obvious: dealer) parts shops around here tell me "you can use anything, we have steel line, braided line, etc that we sell by the foot" how does one work with such things, is that easy, difficult, what? Also the fuel filter needs changing as it's pretty well stuck, getting it off will probably ruin the fuel lines (hence my previous question) but if not what are the suggestions to get it off without ruining the fuel lines?

1995 Olds Cutlass Supreme SL 3.1

This is my friend's car, it overheated thanks to a coolant bypass line that went and pissed coolant everywhere. It was running dex-cool now the coolant is very brown and ugly looking even after a flush and fill. Suggestions so far include a coolant system pressure test and/or taking it to a place like valvoline instant oil change and having them do a power flush and fill with their fancy machine. It's definitely not leaking the coolant (no spots on the driveway). I've heard it can be intake manifold gasket, head gasket, or something else. Again, opinions/thoughs/suggestions welcomed, thanks :)

-GV

Reply to
GlassVial

If you can turn just one of the connectors on the gas line then you can unscrew the filter off the other line that is rusted to the connector. Just hold the rusted connector with a wrench and put a wrench on the filter and unscrew it. I had to do this for a few years until I had a new fuel pump put on, then the rear line going into the back of the gas filter was replaced.

The gas line is one component I wish the factory would use, aluminum, brass, copper or stainless steel to make. No they have to use a rustable steel.

Good Luck

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~298,614 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

connector.

rustable

I agree, but if you are going to keep a car forever like this you should coat those steel lines with marine grease or something to protect them. I think the plastic fuel lines are a bit scary.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Not because you don't see coolant on the ground that you don't have a leak. My Malibu (2001, 3.1 V6 pushrod, don't know if it's the same engine) had a busted intake manifold gasket. It leaked coolant on top of the engine, on an area that looks like a sunken metal tray. Leak was not severe (2 qts in about a month) and with the engine being hot, the coolant was drying/evaporating. I needed very careful examination to acually catch it. Costed me an arm and a leg to ge it repaired too. Thankfully it did not leak enough INSIDE the engine to make serious damage.

Reply to
lambertf

Yeah the theories I've heard so far in regards to the coolant is head gaskets or intake manifold gasket, either way it's engine-tear-apart work and that's not fun in the wintertime :)

-GV

Reply to
GlassVial