Fuel Sender Unit Woes

So back in January, I replaced my fuel tank and sender unit. The sender unit I put in didn't work right from day 1, however I was too lazy to pull it back out again and replace it. It finally quit a few weeks ago and I went to replace it under warranty a few days ago. Here's the current status of the project:

Original sending unit - worked fine, was replacing tank so might as well replace the sender at the same time.

Replacement number one - 'E' was half a tank, a full tank was '3/4', turns out the sender unit was mounted about 1.5 - 2 inches too high with no room to bend the float down. The float ended up getting jammed at the top of the tank.

Replacement number two - Decided to test this one fully before puting in, seemed to work fine. That was until gas got to it. Very intermittent, almost like there was a "dead" spot in it. Would read fine, then go 'FULL', then read fine, then go 'FULL'.

Replacement number three - Decided to FULLY test this one before putting in. Put it throught the paces on the bench, all seemed okay. WRONG! I didn't realize that when you buy an electrical product from a company you should inspect for shorts! The damn thing is shorted out, took me a while to figure that out. Measured the resistance, reads half tank. Checked my guage, works fine. Finally after chasing wires for a couple of hours, I noticed the resistance between the chassis and the purple signal wire was 3 ohms! DAMNIT!

Replacement number four - This will most likely take place on Monday. I guess I'll take this one to an electrical testing facility and have it fully inspected, then to a chemical testing lab to make sure the materials used in the product will handle contact with fuel, and finally off to a secret testing facitlity where the unit will be put through 10,000 hours of harsh testing before being installed in my vehicle.

I think it's funny that the manufacturers website states "All products are engineered to the highest quality standards for peak performance and precise first time fit."

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Decided to remove number three and check it out, see what the problem was. Found the problem and fixed it! Gas guage works great. Turns out the dumb f***s who built the thing wired it incorrectly. They had the fuel level signal going to ground and the ground going to the fuel level signal. So, when you check the resistance between the two wires it checks out okay, but you are grounding the signal wire when it's plugged in so the guage reads empty. There is a small plug on the underside of the unit, just had to properly rearrange the wires.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Really makes one ill when he knows he went the extra mile and replaced the original which was working correctly, huh? Glad you got it! s

Reply to
sdlomi2