Fuel System problem

Hi I have a 1988 Chevy celebrity 2.8 v6 Great car for many years. But now engine cranks over for about 5 seconds or so before it fires up. (almost always when it sits overnight)
I used to hear the fuel system pressurize when I would turn the ignition key to the on position (but not crank it over) Now I do not hear the Humming sound of the fuel system pressurizing prior to starting.
Once the engine starts, the car runs fine at idle or even at high speeds.
I replaced the fuel pump relay as suggested but no change. In fact I noticed that I can completely unplug the fuel pump relay, and it still starts and runs the same as when it is plugged in. I even did a complete resistance and continuity test on both the old and new relays to be sure the were not defective.
WOW any ideas ? Thanks to all Xray

Are you positive that you replaced the correct relay?
Poor fuel pressure. Weak pump. Clogged fuel filter. Bad fuel presser regulator (not sure where it is on that motor). Problems in the evaporative system. Try starting the car with the gas cap off and see what happens.
First thing to do is check the fuel pressure and go from there.
psycho