G-Body Engine Swaps

Question, folks and technicians:

Can the 3800 engine be mounted for RWD use? I currently have a '87 Regal, with an anemic 305 engine, with either a 200R4 or 700R4 (no one taught me the difference between the two). I would love to pop a 231 from a newer wreck for better milage - and quite likely, better power as well.

I understand that I could just pull stuff from a Firebird, but they're rare as hens' teeth around here. Since the same engine (?) is powering the RWD F-bodies as well as the FWD Regals / Grand Prixs / Cutlasses, they theoretically should be able to use the same engine mounts.

Also, should such a swap require an adapter for the transmission, as the current engine is a Chevrolet?

Vuarra Vuarra

Vuarra

The 3800 motor is known for good fuel economy, and sounds like an intresting swap. My biggest concern is wiring up the fuel injection. I understand " Howell " makes a kit to adapt late model FI to earlier cars.

The Chevy 350 is a * great * motor, but has a reputation for less than great fuel economy. I would be curious if a fuel injected 350 or 305 would give acceptable mileage. Another choice could be a Northstar, but again the FI would be a challenge.

Reply to
451ctds

I was interested in the 3800 because it sits further back in the engine compartment, allowing a little better handling.

Quite obviously, the FI 350 would be my second choice, as when it's operating at top efficiency, it does give very good mileage, and they are more readily found. FI 305 is a rare engine in this part of the world.

I did think of the Northstar, but if it needs a rebuild, I'll have to mortgage my son to do it :( Vuarra

Vuarra