G.M. to Make a 60-Day Money-Back Offer

Page 1 of 2
G.M. to Make a 60-Day Money-Back Offer http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/11/business/11gm.html?_r=1
DETROIT — In an all-out effort to restore confidence in its products,
General Motors will offer a 60-day, money-back guarantee on all its vehicles beginning on Monday, according to people involved in the company’s plans.
As part of its marketing campaign, G.M.’s new chairman, Edward E. Whitacre Jr., will be featured as the company’s spokesman in a new television commercial designed to lure consumers back to the company’s showrooms.
The commercials, which feature the slogan “May the Best Car Win,” will make their debut on national television on Sunday. Mr. Whitacre, the former chairman of AT&T, will make a direct appeal to consumers to try G.M. vehicles — and return them after 60 days for a full refund if they aren’t satisfied.
“We’re putting our money where our mouth is,” Mr. Whitacre says in the commercial, according to people who have seen the campaign.
The “Satisfaction Guaranteed” program is thought to be the first time that a major automaker has offered a full refund on a vehicle after it has been sold. The program will cover all of G.M.’s core American brands — Cadillac, Buick, Chevrolet and GMC — and run through November.
The money-back program was conceived by G.M. executives and its board as a dramatic way to promote the quality of the company’s product line after its emergence from bankruptcy in July.
There is no mention in the ad campaign of the $50 billion in taxpayers’ dollars that provided G.M.’s financial bailout this year, or the fact that the federal government owns 60 percent of the company.
Instead, the campaign and money-back promotion is an attempt to focus attention on G.M.’s cars and trucks.
Mr. Whitacre, 67, has said that G.M. must halt its slide in market share in the United States. The company, which once held a 50 percent share of the market in the 1960s, has a 19 percent share so far this year.
The use of Mr. Whitacre as a spokesman is reminiscent of Lee Iacocca’s ads in the 1980s as chairman of Chrysler, when he coined the slogan “If You Can Find a Better Car — Buy It.”
Those ads helped Chrysler rebound after the company needed federal loan-guarantees to stave off bankruptcy.
Other automotive executives have appeared in ads with less success. In 2006, Chrysler failed to jump-start sales with advertisements featuring DaimlerChrysler’s chief executive, Dieter Zetsche.
G.M. declined to comment today in the upcoming advertising campaign or the money-back promotion. The automaker’s board officially approved the campaign this week.
--
Civis Romanus Sum

Add pictures here
âś–

it's a fairly good confidence inspiring measure, although I wonder how it would work with insurance, minor dings, paint chips and such, not to mention those will try to work it to borrow a new car- but I can see a number of guys going home with a new caddy or something "to surprise the wife"- gm is gambling a lot because if the returns become so great they have to discontinue the program, it will be a legacy hard to lose
Add pictures here
âś–

Looks like GM is desperate. Probably running out of storage room for unsold GMs. But a couple of bogus statements below.

I would read the fine print real carefully.

Funny, Walmart, Sears, Costco all take back defective products like this.

Only $50B? Did that include Canada's $13B or the $20B recently sent to GM blood sucking? And you know it doesn't include the clunkers program or Chrysler. Not even the other business that dealt with GM and are now bankrupt corporate welfare recipents.
Taxpayers should wish this only cost them $50B.

They already slide as many view that they do not support GM blood sucking by purchasing their products. Quoting averages does sound better than August numbers.

Chrysler didn't stave off bankruptcy. They went bankrupt and were sold off. Hell, they are not even an "American" controlled corporation any more. Chrysler now reports to Europe.
GM is now selling off it's parts to raise cash. LOL, tick-tock - tick-tock ....as they are still loosing gobs of cash. I would love to see where all these tax dollars really wind up.
Add pictures here
âś–

Desperate???? Maybe. Or merely finally deciding to take on the Japanese nameplates head-on, like they should have done about 20 years ago.
Maybe this is how they should market this plan.
"GM" products are better than anything Japan offers. Gets better gas milage. Are more reliable. Have more horsepower. Looks better. Now we are going to put our money where our mouth is. Try one of our products. If you don't like it, return it in 60 days.
Tell Japan to put up or shut up.
Please tell Consumer Reports to do the same.

Agreed. Always read fine print. It is in fine print for a reason.

Of course, Walmart, and the likes, dont sell a whole lot of $25000 dollar products that are defective, do they, unlike Toyota, who recall more of those "defective products" than they sell?????????????

The taxpayers money is gone, nothing can be done about this. We are probably in agreement on this issue. Tax dollars should never be used on a private company.
Unfortunaltey, that is over and done. Those dollars are gone, no matter if GM suddenly becomes profitable again.

Chrysler has been reporting to Europe for a whole lot of years now. Didn't some European auto company buy them out back in the 90's??????????????

Add pictures here
âś–

Somehow I don't think the Japanese are too worried about GM.
Maybe this is how they should market this plan.

Of all the vehicles I have owned, the Japanese, and I mean real Japanese as imports off a boat were the two best. The worst were a Olds Firenza and a Chrylser Minivan. Given how many parts With GM former customers, unpaid suppliers, pissed off bond holders and a pletoria of other unpaid creditors, pension fund value drops for GM, corporate tax grab welfare for the corrupt, GM has really tainted their brand image and may take a generation or two to repair.

They don't have too. I will not buy Detroit if they were the last auto makers on the planet or more that 50% below current costs with a quality improvement.

Yep, compare their articles 4 years ago to todays used articles. They are useless. You are much better off to go out to a streat corner, and simply watch what others are driving and buying.

It shouldn't have to be in the fine print. I see fine print and know it isn't for my good. I like honesty and simplicity myself. Too bad those with fine print look at customers like the enemy, advisaries to sucker punch.

Yep, like GMers before bankruptcy are getting the problems fixed, NOT. Hell, one of the reasons GM went bankrupt was to duck their promises and pending liabilites and lawsuits. Take the manifold issue... at least Toyota is fixing the few issues they do have. GM just lets the customers eat it.

True, but there is an old saying, don't throw good money after bad. And GM is again out of cash. Yep, look at last quarters losses. Then look at how poorly they did on clunkers and August sales. Then add in Opal isn't being sold because GM has cash....
GM is going to come back for more taxpayers debit and taxation servatude for corrupt corporations of America. If you stand for decency, you wouldn't buy these products.
And even the supporters of GM bailouts, will not ask big mouth Obama where the money went, and I mean right to end, who got it and what did it go for. Be it $50B or $100, you know as sure as the sun rises it didn't go to workers wages.

Not really.
Taxpayers still have to pay interest and taxes to fund the Obama debt-corruption bailout. And people like me, are not going to shut up and pay it without a fuss.
Add pictures here
âś–

You keep saying that, but GM also loses more money than any other manufacturer. So, what's the point of making more if you lose more?
Add pictures here
âś–

And they still can't make a profit. LOL
Add pictures here
âś–
What is you point? Toyota is not making a profit either and they sell fewer vehicles in the US than GM

Add pictures here
âś–

You keep going on about GM selling more cars. What is the point of selling more cars if you are just going to lose more money. Toyota was making a profit when Gm was going in the tank.
It is far more important to make a profit than to sell a lot of cars and lose money. Yet you go on about how good a mis-manage company is because of high volume.
Add pictures here
âś–

Mike's a few short of a 12-pack, but when Canuck is saying no one wants to buy a GM, Mikes proves he is wrong by stating the fact that GM sells more vehicles then any other auto maker in the US. From what I saw, they were not talking about money, they were talking about what customers want to buy.
Add pictures here
âś–
Are you referring to Toyota?

Add pictures here
âś–

A couple of huge differences. Probably too obvious for you to see.
Add pictures here
âś–
More likely it was because post was to true for you to answer. LOL

Add pictures here
âś–

âś–
Except Toyota of course, who is losing money today even though Toyota was been receiving taxpayer money from their government since the end of WWII LOL

Add pictures here
âś–
Desperate???? Maybe. Or merely finally deciding to take on the Japanese nameplates head-on, like they should have done about 20 years ago.
********* It is an interesting ploy, which will appeal to a special segment of society. Even on GM products, the quality issues dont normally become evident in 60 days. And the fine print could well be a bitch.

Agreed. Always read fine print. It is in fine print for a reason.
******** You might not be in the targeted population for this sort of sales promotion, then.
Chrysler has been reporting to Europe for a whole lot of years now. Didn't some European auto company buy them out back in the 90's??????????????
********* Yeah, some European company bought into this mess. Daimler Benz.. Maybe you have heard of them. Even they couldnt make Chrysler work, so cut them loose. Guess who is the proud owner of Chrysler now.
Add pictures here
âś–

The fine print seems rather straightforward. But keep in mind, if you die, you don't get your money back. Yes, its in the fine print. http://www.gm.com/guarantee/terms-and-conditions/?brandId=bu&src=hom&evar24=hom_Buick_60DayGuarantee
What is Not Covered Under This Agreement: This Agreement does not apply to and will not provide payment if:
a.. You do not meet all the qualifications contained in this Agreement; b.. Your vehicle is purchased under the GM Company Owned Vehicle Purchase Program (GMU); c.. Your vehicle purchase is part of a fleet sale or commercial sale; d.. Your vehicle is registered to a business, corporation, partnership, utility, federal, state or local government, rental car company or any other organization; e.. You return an Eligible Vehicle and repurchase a vehicle you traded-in when you purchased the Eligible Vehicle; f.. You trade in an Eligible Vehicle and then repurchase it later; g.. Your vehicle was a dealer demonstrator or other dealer owned vehicle; or h.. You die.
Add pictures here
âś–
wrote in message news:a3892106-a15c-

Got no laughter, so I'll tell you that Chrysler is now bedded down with FIAT (Fabbrica Italiana Automobili Torino).
Fiat cars have been despised and degraded for decades. They have, or at least HAD, a terrible rust problem, plus all other idiosyncrasies that can be heap upon the culture, ancestry,and morals of the Italian people. BUT, they also own Ferrari which is one of the most technologically advanced cars in the world, beautiful, tough, and darn expensive.
And, I have owned a couple of Fiat cars and they were much better than they were given credit for being.
Can Fiat turn a pig into a silk purse? Not likely.
Add pictures here
âś–
You might want to check to see what FIAT is doing in Europe TODAY, if that is what you still believe.
wrote in message news:a3892106-a15c-

Add pictures here
âś–

It's what they do here that is important. From my view they will need to adjust their cars so they fit, else I won't even do a trial sitting. I may get stuck in one.
Add pictures here
âś–