G30 Step Van No Heat

My van has been to the shop several times in the last six weeks for the same problem. The heater blows cold air when idleing. The engine is hot, Heater hoses are hot also. Several thermostats later I decided to work on
it myself. After rerouting the hoses and checking the valve I disconnected the hoses and ran two clear hoses into a bucket of coolant. The coolant only flows when the engine is running at a high rpm. Is the water pump supposed to circulate at an idle???
ColdOne wrote:

Absolutely. I am assuming that this vehicle has an engine driven fan, can you "wobble" the fan? If so then definitely replace the water pump. I would replace it anyway; the water pump for a Chevy engine is cheap and it sounds like you may have an impeller that is slipping or falling apart. I would take the back cover off of the water pump when you get it off the engine to see if there is a problem in there; if you find it then you can be confident that you've fixed the issue by replacing the water pump.
good luck,
nate