Gas Filter from Hell

'99 Malibu, 3.1 v6

I'm nearing 150,000 km on my trusty Malibu. Decided it would be smart to change the fuel filter even though GM does not suggest an interval.

One side has a normal flare nut connection. This I was able to loosen with no problem.

The other line to the filter has a 'quick connector' which is unlike either of the 2 connector styles shown in the factory service manual.

It is a metal bodied connector with a black plactic collar at the open end where the fuel filter is inserted. Supposedly you push this plactic collar into the connector while pulling on the filter to release it.

All I succeeded in doing was breaking off the outer part of the black plactic collar.

Any suggestions on how to get this friggin' connector apart now without destroying it??

Regards, Al.

Reply to
Al Haunts

Go and get the special tool required to remove them. There are two types. One type is metal and shaped like an "X" with a pivot in the center (like scissors) to select the appropriate size....there are two of these tools, one for the fuel lines and one for the AC lines. The other type is like a plastic cover that is spring loaded (like PacMan) and slides over the whole connector. Using a bit of WD-40 (or equivilant) sprayed in the connector, slide the tool into the connector and separate the parts. I have personally had better luck with the metal tools, but in this case, to each his own.

Good luck

Eightupman

Reply to
Eightupman

I read Eightupman's post:

He is correct to a certain degree. The tool needed for that filter, is made of metal, and has a bit longer collar. Made to go in deeper at the spring.

It also had a knurled thumb handle, at least my OTC does.

The different colored spring hinged ones, won't close around the filter and the release collar isn't long enough. Nor are the collars on the scissor type he mentioned.

I hope this helps?

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

You are going to have to keep trying to use whatever is left to push the black plastic collar in further. Unfortunately, the suggestions of the other two posters are correct for a different style of "quick" release. This style was designed to work without a tool. As is usually the case, once you get a few miles on the vehicle, crap gets into the area of the "quick" release, making it very difficult to actually release it. You might want to try to spray some sort of liquid wrench/penetrating fluid around the connector, and/or use compressed air to make sure you don't have any dirt/crap that is preventing the collar from being pushed in. I hate these things. I've noticed that in the 2004 vehicles, they have changed the design of the quick connections at the fuel tank. Looks like it might work a bit better even after some miles have accumulated.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

hummmm...I have not yet seen that type of tool. The metal one I have worked on the 99 Cutlass I changed the filter on. Perhaps luck was on my side??? Got a link to a pic?

You mentioned the clip ones...probably why I don't use them... I know I used them on a Ford Mustang, and my metal tool would not work...I wonder if there is a difference in the models that requires either the metal one or the plastic one?

Reply to
Eightupman

OH wait a minute....I think I remember now.....I had to dig every piece of blessed crap out of the connector with a scribe (long pointy metal object for those who may not know what a scribe is) and a bit of carburator cleaner (or brake cleaner) aerosol solvent all the same......Yeah...I do remember this connector now....what a cow. Then you kind of pinch it oblong to make it disconnect...am I on the same page now??

The >

Reply to
Eightupman

(laugh) That's even "another" style you are describing. Yeah, I hate those ones too. The one I'm thinking of has the releasing "tool" basically built right into the connection. When all works properly, you would just push on the connector and it releases. Once they have acumulated some miles....it never seems to work all that great.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

OK, now I gotta go diggin under my 2000 Monte to see one!!

Reply to
Eightupman

Would covering the filter & connection with plastic ( Shrink wrap ) be to any benefit?

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~289,366 miles_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face