gas gauge failing on a 200

Dear Group,

I am a Canadian who own a 2000 Pontiac Montana minivan. In the past 4 months the gas gauge has begun to fail. At first it would fluctuate wildly and now it remains on full regardless of the quantity of gas in the tank. I do recall a while back stories of this problem. Does anyone know if a recall did occur?

Thanks for your experience.

Doug

Reply to
Doug Mitchell

Could be a ground. Follow ground lead and assure connection to body is clean and tight. For the ultimate ground, replace screw with a stainless steel one, and paint over tightened connection to prevent corrosion damage. Factory skimps and assumes as far as grounds go. Adding a cable from engine block to frame is also a good idea.

Reply to
451 CTDS

"Doug Mitchell" wrote

We have had issues with Shell gasoline causing problems with fuel gauge sending units. But from what I've gathered, this was supposed be a localized problem in Alberta. Nevertheless, we still are replacing lots of sending units. No recall on it that I'm aware of, but if you are just out of warranty, you might want to sit down with your local dealership service manager and politely see if he can do anything to help you. "Goodwill" warranty is alive and well.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

The very first thing that I would do would be to crawl under the LS of the vehicle, and unplug the fuel sender connector where it passes through the floorboard. You will likely find that it is full of water, and that is causing your problem. Dry it out with compressed air and apply some dielectric grease before reconnecting, and you ought to be good to go.

If that doesn't fix it, then a new fuel level sensor will. That requires fuel tank removal, and is probably best left for your dealer to take car of.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Newton