Gasket failure: again!

All right

Just learned that my intake gasket is failing again on my 2000 Venture. This is the second time; GM changed it at 1/2 cost (500$ CND) 2 years ago. The dealer told my wife that there is nothing that they will do for us, do and they will not help pay for this crap. The service manager basically said: "Listen, this is a 6 year old van. It has 108 K Km (60 Kmiles), what do you expect?!" Well,.

Bloody GM. What can I do? We have been polite, respectful of the service manager, explained that this is not normal, that we do not abuse the van, it has been always maintained at the dealership... so what can I do?

Any help wouold be appreciated.

Cheers

Reply to
Ice

It is out of warranty. That means you pay. Next time buy something that won't let you down as much.

Reply to
SgtSilicon

get it fixed, research the internet,contact consumer organisation, CAA APA build a file, and take your chance at the small claim court.

Reply to
Rick

You mean like my neighbors Toyota, with the bad tranny? ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I am curious, did you buy it from this dealer?

Reply to
Scott

Unfortunately, a lot of people bought this engine option not knowing the problems that it carried with it.

I believe that both the design of this engine's sealing surfaces AND the composition of the original gaskets both had a little to do with this, and have heard that new gaskets are available that are much better than the originals.

Sgt Silicon is normally right, though. If it is out of warranty, you are probably out of luck.

The dealership BS line (that it is a 6 year old van, what do you expect) is crap. That is no time at all, nor mileage either, for a modern vehicle.

I wouldn't buy anything from them anymore, even if just because of that attitude. They KNOW there was a problem here, but legally they are not required to do anything about it, nor are you likely to get any sympathy from GM.

Reply to
<HLS

There was nothing wrong with the gaskets design or the surface condition . GM like most every other manufacture, Ford, Chrysler, Honda Toyota etal, fell victim to the government ban on the use of asbestos without allowing the companies that actually manufacture gaskets time to develop a proper replacement material. All of the manufactures offered extended warranties on 'gasket related problems, but like all warranties they have a limit. Apparently that particular vehicle has exceed the warranty limit on time or mileage. The person people should be mad at is their congressman

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

And the excuse for vehicles as recent at 2003, 2004 model years experiencing this very same problem is exactly what Mike? Your tired explanation lost its validity about 12 years ago. All of the manufacturers *except* GM have gotten past the initial change over problems - years ago.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

You contention might make sense but then how would that explain why the asbestos gaskets of prior years did not fail? ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Strawman argument Mike. My point has been (for months now in response to your canned line about gaskets) simply that GM cars still have gasket problems and other manufacturers have long ago gotten around them. You can put your head in the sand all you wish, but GM wears egg on their face for this one.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

No I did not as I wasn in another city. I moved 1 month after and have been going to this dealership ever since. I am out of luck. Man this bites! But really, it should last more than 2 years! Got it repaired in 2004. Shouldn't have they have used a new gasket, or a new design?

I have found that there is a class action suit here in Canada against GM. I am completing papers to join this suit.

Reply to
Ice

I was thinking. Is there a product I can use to fix, even if temporally, this leaking?

Thanks

Reply to
Ice

Intake (and other) gasket failures on this family of engines date back to the 1980 model year, when it was introduced.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Actually, the gaskets are quite feeble.

Hog wash.

Yeah, 3/36 unless you bought the extended warranty.

Is he also a bean counter at GM?

Reply to
aarcuda69062

You just contradicted yourself. There WAS something wrong with those gaskets, and you know it. GM had the worst problems, Dodge had none at all, AFAIK. Ford had few, but did have the plastic plenum pendejada

Reply to
<HLS

Damn sure did. Long before asbestos became an issue. That is why I think this engine series had some special sealing problems.

Reply to
<HLS

Not necessarily. I had a second gasket go on a 2000 Venture out of warranty and my dealer got it "goodwilled". The problem was found before there was any engine damage, so it wasn't a hugely expensive repair. Sometimes if it is a known issue and your dealer will go to bat for you, you can get it paid for.

Jane

Reply to
Jane

Joining a class action suit won't help you a bit. But... the lawyers will get richer.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

No. The early stages of the gasket failure don't present big problems though. Keep an eye on the coolant level and keep it topped off. Watch your motor oil for any signs of water in the oil. You can actually go quite a long time on these gaskets when they begin to fail.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I mean if there is something big that is likely to burn you after warranty, make a different purchase choice. Applies to any particular problem item, no matter the brand. The gasket failure that GM has had is something that people should have just plain avoided buying vehicles that have the affected engines. That's a LOT of vehicles to avoid! GM doesn't DESERVE to have people spend good money on products with such a serious problem. On the other hand, go ahead and buy other GM products that don't have the big problems, and don't by rice that has big problems either. Don't know for sure, but I have had independent mechanics tell me there was a stretch not all that long ago that a lot of Dodge (Chrysler) trannies were pure reliability nightmares. Had I been considering one of their products at the time, I would have checked into those claims much further before spending my hard earned cash on one.

Reply to
SgtSilicon