Gasket failure: again!

Page 2 of 4

And intake gaskets and front cover gaskets.

Both the Gen I and Gen II Buick engines use the same feeble intake gasket design as the 3100/3400, failures just aren't as readily apparent because the coolant passages are not at the ends of the cylinder heads like the 3100/3400, in addition to the Gen II plastic intake burn out problem, Gen I intake plenums have been known to fail also, just not as frequent as the Gen II.

Good advice. Thanks. I went and looked at a Ioy Sienna... Any issues with those I should know about??
William H. Bowen wrote:

No, they also had lots of intake manifold gasket leaks, and front cover gasket leaks (as was mentioned by another poster). They've been a lousy line of engines from the get-go as far as intake gasket failures. Again, I've worked on them since they were introduced.
Ian

I'm not doubting what you are saying: just going by my own experiences. We probably work on a quite different product mix. As has often been said "your milage may vary"
Of course then again nothing leaks oil like an old Harley V-Twin.
Regards, Bill Bowen Sacramento, CA

Those chain oilers were totally misunderstood...
With all the talk about the 3.4 gasket problems, does anybody know if they fixed it for model year 2004?
I've got a 2004 Impala base model, bought new 2 years ago. It's already got 81,000km on it and so far no problem with the motor. I hope to keep it at least 6 years, or 300,000km.
Is the new 2006 3.5 motor the same as the 3.4?

Crap shoot. Most will, but there will always be some failures.
Gasket problems related to the ban on asbestos has been corrected. If you have a concern you should take quick note of any coolant consumption and do an occasional pressure test, as part of any good preventive maintance regimen.
mike hunt

So keep it. Just keep an eye on it. Every time you change the oil, take a quick look for any signs of gasket failure. You'll see the coolant seepage under the manifold if the gaskets are breaking down.

No.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Mike Hunter wrote:

Actually, they did! That line of engine has "always" had intake manifold gasket failures! When they first introduced the engine, I was working on them replacing intake gaskets (the old asbestos ones) for the same problem we have today, coolant leaking into the engine.
You need to bone up on your engine history a bit....or else just keep quiet!
Ian
I thing you need to bone up on your engine history a bit....or else just keep quiet! ;)
mike hunt

He just ignores such logic, therefore he has about ZERO credibility.
On Sat, 20 May 2006 16:32:09 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

Actually, the gaskets are quite feeble.

Hog wash.

Yeah, 3/36 unless you bought the extended warranty.

Is he also a bean counter at GM?
You forgot to say in my opinion, because you have not idea what you are talking about LOL
mike

I have "not" idea what I'm talking about?
I bet that you couldn't even point to the place on an engine where these parts go.
That is likely, the engines on most car today are completely covered. LOL
mike hunt

Actually, no they are not. But I'm certain that removal of the cover, if there were one would pose a challenge for you.
Pretty sad when all one knows about cars is what is published in Automotive News.
That's funny coming from a guy who was still in diapers at a time when I was building and driving race cars. LOL
mike hunt