Gasoline odor

When within 6 feet or so of the vehicle can smell gas on driver's side rear, and rear. Hoses don't appear to have any dry cracking and seem intact. Can see top of gas tank and all hoses. No liquid gas leaking that I'm aware of. Vehicle is 94 Chevy Blazer S-10. Any ideas?

............ Jim

Reply to
Jim

Do you have any problems with keeping gas in the tank? How often is your truck above half tank? I remember a lot of those leaking at half tank, dont know if it could have effected your truck but never know. I always looked just below the rear bumper, thats the tank cover.

Reply to
Adam

Some vehicles used to have the gasoline fume adsorption cannister back there. Might be worth a look.

Reply to
<HLS

Back where? Can see all above gas tank. No cannister visible.

............ Jonny

Reply to
Jim

Holds a full tank okay. No leaks.

Reply to
Jim

Probably a small leak around the fill pipe overflow allowing vapor to escape. Or possibly the tank has a problem around the pump seal area. My

94 developed a gas smell but didn't show any leaks. When the pump went bad I dropped the tank and found the retaining ring had rusted off on one side so the pump didn't seal completely.
Reply to
Steve W.

The carbon canister on my '99 Blazer is tucked away behind the plastic rear bumper extension (quarter panel), past the filler door. BTW, I have the same issue with the gas odor, but *inside* the vehicle. It only happens when I fill the tank (18 gal, plastic). No leaks as far as I can tell. It goes away when I drive the truck a few miles....

Richard

Reply to
NotDeadYet

My gas tank appears to be steel construction, 20 gallon. No canister.

............ Jonny "NotDeadYet" rear bumper extension (quarter panel), past the filler door. BTW, I

Reply to
Jim

Fill the tank full, then park it on the level and see if it leaks anywhere. If not, park it downhill and check, uphill, repeat. If there's a leak in the tank, that should make it easy to find. My Jimmy has a leak in the top of the tank (somewhere), and it only leaks when it's full parked downhill..

Reply to
Michael Keefe