General Motors Reports Record Sales Of New Disposable Car

Change the date slightly and GM is up to date ...

General Motors Reports Record Sales Of New Disposable Car

March 4, 2001 | Issue 37?12

DETROIT?In a report released Monday, General Motors announced 56 percent growth for the first quarter of 2001, a profit increase company officials attributed to February's wildly successful launch of the GMC Whim, the first-ever non-refillable, disposable automobile.

Making their debut at a cost of $1,100 each, the vehicles are flying out of showrooms as quickly as dealers can stock them. Featuring factory-installed gasoline, an AM/FM radio with two preset stations, and a nine-volt battery to power the ignition, the Whim is attracting motorists looking for convenient, hassle-free transportation.

"I'm a busy mother of four," said Winston-Salem, NC, homemaker Hannah Plunkett, who buys a new Whim Grande minivan every seven to ten days. "I don't have time to change the oil, rotate the tires, fill up the tank, or deal with any of the other maintenance headaches you have with old-fashioned reusable cars. But with my Whim, the parts never have time to age."

"The Whim is the wave of the future," said enthusiast Glen Shriver, who recently drove from his home in Eden Prairie, MN, to Daytona Beach, FL, for the First Annual Whim Owners' Convention, consuming four of the vehicles in the process. "I've already collected all eight colors."

"Finally, I can feel comfortable teaching my kids to drive the family car," said Harold Sperber of Chillicothe, OH. "And when my oldest misbehaves, I can threaten to throw his car away."

Introduced to the nation in an ad aired during Super Bowl XXXV, the Whim's "Hi.... And Bye" spot features a rapid-fire succession of slogans touting advantages of the new car, including "Enjoy That New-Car Smell All The Time," "No Rust, No Repairs, No Fooling," and "Never Pay For A Car Wash Again. In Fact, We Urge You Not To Wash The Whim, As Hot Water Can Melt The Glue Holding The Frame Together."

When out of gas, the car can either be abandoned at the side of the road or returned to the dealer for a $10 deposit. For $100 extra, buyers can purchase the Whim Distinct, a premium model that boasts roomier seating, super-unleaded gasoline, and a tape deck with a pre-inserted, non-ejectable tape of the owner's choice. The Whim Distinct will also offer drivers the added option of going in reverse.

"We here at GM are delighted with the success of the Whim," CEO G. Richard Wagoner said. "America's love affair with the car, combined with its love of disposable products, has spelled tremendous success for us. As long as American industry keeps producing aluminum and polystyrene, we'll keep making Whims as fast as we can."

The vehicle has also given a boost to GM employment figures. Though faulted in recent years for rampant layoffs, GM has hired thousands of new assembly-line workers to meet demand for the Whim, which can take upwards of 450 man-minutes to assemble. Wagoner also noted that the Whim costs substantially less to manufacture than conventional automobiles due to the fact that it requires no fan belt, oil-distribution system, or other parts necessary to the long-term functioning of a vehicle.

Responding to the Whim's success, rival automakers are preparing to counter with their own lines of disposable cars, including the Ford Temporaire and the Chrysler Dumper. The 2002 Mitsubishi Ditch will be unveiled later this year, with a projected sticker price of $799.

Reply to
Jim Higgins

Think, now that they get a $35,000/car subsidy from the taxpayers, they might be able to sell one for $1,100... LOL. Leave it to The Onion!

Reply to
Canuck57

It is not satire at all. Turns out, my $33,000 LeSabre is disposable. Right now it is probably not worth the $1,100 price quoted.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You jest of course, but the fact is GM vehicles sales are indeed going up. LOL

Reply to
Mike

Not saying much... LOL.

Bet they are not number one or number two any more.

Reply to
Canuck57

It appears you lost your bet, GM is still the best selling car company in the US.

Reply to
Mike

Mike has always been a turd in a punchbowl. In another group this name claims to be Afroamerican.

I dont know who or what he is, except traditionally combative and misinformed. He seems to have no real expertise on anything.

I killfiled him a long time ago.

Reply to
HLS

Mike is useless, but Canuck is far beyond that.

Reply to
80 Knight

Be a damn shame if one couldn't sell something below cost of production. Heck good chance I could manage that.

Reply to
labatyd

Very good point. Anyone can sell a GM if it is subsidised enough. LOL.

Even I would buy a duramax diesel truck w. leather and in new perfect shape for $20K.

Reply to
Canuck57

Because I don't support Government Motors corruption and taxpayer abuse?

My feelings are hurt NOT.

Reply to
Canuck57

The fact remains GM sells more vehicles in the US than any other manufacturer, regardless of what you GM haters say about GM.

Reply to
Mike

Don't get me wrong.I drive GM and have for years. Also have Ford. Anything you'd like to sell? I am certain I could sell more for you than any competitor if the product is subsidized enough. The competition wouldn't have a chance.

Reply to
labatyd

You mean like Toyota?

Reply to
Mike

Apparently you still read your kill file posts. LOL

Reply to
Mike

And think, if it were not for the taxpayers of US and Canada they wouldn't sell a single one.

Reply to
Canuck57

Well, if your competition can sell below costs, financed by the taxpayers... well it becomes destructive to the industry. In the end, all consumers will suffer.

Even Toyota can't make money when faced with competing with the US treasury. It is clearly an anti-competative move. Obama is a hypocrite if he thinks otherwise.

Government Motors, USSR. Government at Liberty with taxpayers dollars.

Reply to
Canuck57

Somebody is paying regardless and it ain't good for the industry. There is no free lunch as you should be aware.

Reply to
labatyd

Duh! Toyota has been subsided by the Japanese government ever since WWII, dummy

Reply to
Mike

Does that mean you believe Toyota wouldn't sell a single vehicle if it were not for the taxpayers of Japan, as well dummy?

Reply to
Mike