GEO METRO Bizarre leak

My Daughter has a 96 geo metro, on her way home from college it leaked what appears to be 90# oil down the steering column and on to her boots. We tore
the car apart and cannot find a source. Has anyone ever seen this? Any suggestions?
Could it be tranny fluid backing up the speedo cable? Assuming, of course, that the 96 Metro has a mechanical speedo cable.