Geo metro timing belt question

I replaced the water pump on my '96 Geo Metro so decided to replace the timing belt while I had it apart. After reassembly the timing belt is trying to come off the spockets. The idler is bolted onto the water
pump assembly. The only explanation I can think of is the idler is slightly canted so the belt want to come off the sprockets. Anyone run into this before?