Getting rid of very old cars--nobody will take them? ('87 Chevy Celebrity, runs great)

Hi, My folks in Livingston, NJ have an '87 Chevy Celebrity wagon with a

2.8 MFI and 116k miles. The engine is terrific and even the A/C is cold. We're replacing it because it's gotten quite rusty. Some of the body panels are fine, while others have rust eating through the outer layers. Its only mechanical issues right now are that it needs a new muffler and probably a new radiator soon since the current one leaks a little. My dad's still driving it every day though he's soon going to transfer its registration and plates onto another car.

Obviously, the car is too old to sell, and nobody would buy it in this kind of shape. My friend told me that charities won't take cars older than 1991's, and she said that even junkyards are turning away older cars.

Is this true? I'm hoping that someone out there would be at least willing to tow away the car for free. The 2.8 MFI, A/C, alternator, water pump, seats, glass, etc are all fine. If you replaced the radiator and muffler, it would probably make it to California just fine.

Anyways, if you have any suggestions, or might even be interested in the car, please let me know.

Thanks, John snipped-for-privacy@caregroup.harvard.edu

Reply to
John Yang, MD

Sadly, at least here, it's worth scrap value. State safety inspections make repairing a rusty car cost prohibitive unless it's a classic. I don't know if NJ has safety inspections like MD, VA, PA, etc.?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Why don't you call a few charities? Your friend could be wrong, and you will get a tax write off.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

Some high school tech programs take old cars for their auto mechanic and body shop programs.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Hi...

Given the MD, you're time is probably scarce...

But on the off-chance that your Dad may be retired with too much time on his hands (like me :) and has lots of space available (like me :) then perhaps he might consider parting it out.

Just put an ad in one of the for sale ng's in his city, and offer others the opportunity to come and remove what they need. Then when everything of real value is gone, give the rest to a tow truck to take to a shredder. (he should do that free, the shredder will pay him a little for it)

And he makes at least some dollars, all the better to spoil his grand children if you're blessed with kids :)

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

It's still worth money as scrap steel, even if you have to drive it to the wrecking yard. You might also try your local fire department. They sometimes need old cars for training rescue units in the use of those "jaws of life".

Reply to
John Ings

Call Jesse James at Monster Garage. He may have a few ideas.

Reply to
Chief McGee

I would say put up an ad at your local community college outside the Automotive Tech. program classrooms. If it runs and the price is cheap enough, you'll easily get rid of it.

A friend of mine from my auto tech program picked up an early 90s Oldsmobile for $400 because the owner was tired of fixing it. He fixed it and drives it around.. Unlike his other cars, the $400 one has air conditioning, so he couldn't be happier.

__________________ Note: To reply, replace the word 'spam' embedded in return address with 'mail'. N37.3 W122.0

Reply to
Barry S.

Any high school or community college with an auto tech program should gladly take it as a donation, and it should still be a tax writeoff.

Reply to
Eightupman

Why take your friends word for it? Just call a junkyard and ask them. I'm sure they will take your car. It has value for the scrap metal. About 4 years ago my father had a Plymouth Reliant that was sitting for way too long. I called a junkyard and they picked up the car the same day. All they asked was if I had the title.

----------------- Alex

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

They do. They had some fiasco a short time ago when they switched to a new system. Really stupid and a tremendous waste of money.

---------------- Alex

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

First, a car like this is worth $50 to $200. Depends on the who and the why. In most parts of the country, there is a cottage industry of scavengers who buy such cars. Look in your local small want adds type news paper you see at convenience stores or such. Look in the automotive section. There will be using be adds like "buying junk cars running or not" Or Haul away your scrap". These guys will buy your car and either fix it to resell it or scavenge the good parts and take the rest to the shredder. Don't expect to get a lot out of it from this lot, but you can get rid of it this way.

Be careful of the donation route. The car is not worth that much. If you donated to charity and tried to take a large write off, the ramifications of a tax audit are NOT worth it.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

John,

Don't try selling the car in a neighborhood overun with gringo's.

You got to advertise in the "hood" or where the Jose's hangout..

Wonder if I'd have trouble selling mine?

Good Luck

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~286,095 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

Not exactly. What is going on is that some junkyards are refusing to send one of their tow vehicles out to get the car, even if you give it to them free. But, just about all of them will happily take the vehicle if you can get it to them.

Another avenue you might try just for grins is Ebay. It's cheaper than listing the vehicle in the local paper, and many states only care about emissions inspection, and don't care about rust. Just don't list it in the vehicle category, list it under the parts category and describe it as a vehicle, it's cheaper and Ebay doesen't care if the vehicle value is under $100. If I was younger and not married, I might fly standby out there to get it, just to get a cheap trip back to NY (where I have relatives) and to tour the country on the way back. (selling the car here I could probably clear at least the fuel to drive it back) This state is full of '87 Celebrities that have no rust and have over

200,000 miles on them where the engine has blown up, and someone is looking for a cheap 2.8L Chevy engine.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

There are always car auctions...

Reply to
Derek Clarke

Really your best bet is to put a reasonable price on it, and list it in the local new paper and auto trader papers.

My Brother Lives in NJ. He heard all the same quack about old cars, and give away his 1991 Mercury Cougar to a Salvage Yard out there. Only to see the same wrecker drive that wouldn't even pay $50 for it, driving it around for 6 months. I was too busy at the time to go to NJ and get the car from him, else wise I would have taken it.

As for salvage value of a 87 Celebrity Station Wagon, they have little. So salvage yards will not pay much for them any more. Five years ago around $50 to $300, these days probably $50. Privet sales are your best option. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

There's always the demolition derby. Might be fun. Used to be one run in Flemington, but I don't think it's open anymore. Don't know where else in NJ.

Reply to
Tom

||Hi, ||My folks in Livingston, NJ have an '87 Chevy Celebrity wagon with a ||2.8 MFI and 116k miles. The engine is terrific and even the A/C is ||cold. We're replacing it because it's gotten quite rusty. Some of ||the body panels are fine, while others have rust eating through the ||outer layers. Its only mechanical issues right now are that it needs ||a new muffler and probably a new radiator soon since the current one ||leaks a little. My dad's still driving it every day though he's soon ||going to transfer its registration and plates onto another car. || ||Obviously, the car is too old to sell, and nobody would buy it in this ||kind of shape. My friend told me that charities won't take cars older ||than 1991's, and she said that even junkyards are turning away older ||cars. || ||Is this true? I'm hoping that someone out there would be at least ||willing to tow away the car for free. The 2.8 MFI, A/C, alternator, ||water pump, seats, glass, etc are all fine. If you replaced the ||radiator and muffler, it would probably make it to California just ||fine. || ||Anyways, if you have any suggestions, or might even be interested in ||the car, please let me know.

If it drives and can be licensed, advertise it locally. I sold my daughter's '87 Celebrity to a delaer for $200 in just a few days. Had to jump it off at least 10 times before we got him to the freeway and out of sight. Be sure to make up a bill of sale, 2 copies, and get the buyer's full name, address, DL# and signiture. That way you have recourse in case he doesn't change the title.

Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

We have a local art car group and they love Celebrities for some reason. They really don't care what it looks like as long as they can decorate it and put it the parade once a year. Here in Houston you could sell it in 5 minutes. In 10, it would be on its way to Mexico. People noticed when my parents bought a new truck and still had their old, beat up 1987 GMC sitting around (which still runs great and is used regularly but not daily). I swear they actually had people knocking at their door wanting to buy it. Liz

Reply to
Li

Any car that goes down the road under its own power is worth about $500 (and can be sold).

Reply to
Threeducks