GM 3.4 intake coolan leaK!!!!

1998 Transport 87,000 miles

Noticed last spring my coolant was down a little when I did my oil change(every

3000 miles). The first time I just topped up the over flow a bit and next oil change it seemed ok again, there was never any sign in the oil etc. This past fall I noticed the coolant was low in the over flow again and coolant leak stain under the throttle body on top of the block, so I figured the intake!

Again I left it be for when I had more time as it leaked very little and I figured no big deal it's on the outside. I finnally got a around to changing it here this week and did a little searching on the net!

Boy I wish I had searched the net a year ago and replaced it then!! It looks like I was getting a bit in the oil as there was more slude then I would have liked to see on top of the vavle covers. The cam surfaces looked good though.

It's a fairly big job as its a pain to get at things but not too bad. I replaced the gasket with an updated one and new bolts etc. I asked the parts guys at GM if it was a common problem. They said "not really we do the odd one". But yet they had 15 gaskets in stock!!!

So question I have today is does anyone know if this new style gasket has solved the problem? It is made a bit different and they tell you to use new bolts and a different torque spec.

Also whats the deal with dexcool I've seen mentioned on here?? Is it bascially you have to change like the old green stuff every 2 years and not leave it in there so long?

Thanks

Hayman

Reply to
Hayman

Your parts guy is lying to you. When I took my van in because of a bad O2 sensor at 35000 miles the dealer wanted to replace the gasket. Never lost a drop of coolant. He wouldn't talk about why he wanted to replace the gasket for $1000. If the dealer wants to replace it without a problem it must be a widespread problem and they won't cover the cost.They have a recall on the

3800 to put stop-leak in the system to extend them past warranty...

[...]

Woody

[...]

These are the parts used by GM to reseal the Lower Intake:

3.4L (E) & 3.1L (J) Engine Intake Reseal:

89017279 Intake Gasket Set

11588914 Intake Bolts {Qty: 4}

11588915 Intake Bolts {Qty: 4}

10154775 Valve Cover Gaskets {Qty: 2}

24506439 EGR Valve Gasket

10241048 EGR Valve Pipe Gasket

10189205 By-Pass Seal {Yellow}

24504709 Heater Inlet Pipe Seal {Orange}

10477565 Oil Pump Drive Seal

10108445 Distributor Base Gasket

10953472 RTV Sealant

10953031 Dex-Cool {2L}

992878 Engine Shampoo

88901247 Brake Kleen

The Lower Intake gaskets themselves are different. They incorporate rivits into the stress areas where the coolant used to leak at.

Reply to
DeathRat

I just hope that GM fixed it in the new 3.5 and 3.9 engines...

Reply to
Neo

change(every 3000 miles). The first time I just topped up the over flow a bit and next oil change it seemed ok again, there was never any sign in the oil etc. This past fall I noticed the coolant was low in the over flow again and coolant leak stain under the throttle body on top of the block, so I figured the intake!

Generally this is not something to just let slide.

I'm doing regular oil analysis checks on our '02 Silhouette to keep an eye on this problem and sure enough, it showed up at the 41,000 mile oil change interval. Luckily the '02 Olds' all came with GM's extended Major Guard warranty which covered the repair costs 100%.

I took my oil analysis print out to the dealer and asked them to check it out ... they did the intake manifold gasket change within 48 hours.

It is well worth the $20 cost each time to do oil analysis on these motors to check for coolant contamination before it gets really bad and risks harm to the bearings. I got mine from

. John

Reply to
John Horner

"Hayman" wrote

replaced the gasket with an updated one and new bolts etc. I asked the parts guys at GM if it was a common problem. They said "not really we do the odd one". But yet they had 15 gaskets in stock!!!

Maybe "they" are doing the "odd" one. I checked with our parts department last week, we moved 70 of these intake gaskets in the month of January. And that doesn't include the older style gaskets which is a different part number.

solved the problem? It is made a bit different and they tell you to use new bolts and a different torque spec.

Too early to tell.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Distributer Base Gasket? I thought the current 3.4L was DIS?

Reply to
Eugene

They are but there's still the upper support for the oil pump drive shaft which basically resembles the bottom stub of a distributor.

A heads up mechanic will install the distributor base gasket as an addiional line of defense against what has become a known cronic cause of oil leaks on the GM 60* V-6.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

That & then Dummy Shaft seal is THE MOST common leak on these engines too!

Reply to
DeathRat

Cool that makes sense. sounds like I shouldn't have a problem getting the parts since they seem to be commonly in stock. Kind of disappointing having to do this on a 2001 when it seems to have been a problem for years. One thing I like about the "old design" of my S-10 is it doesn't seem to have as many problems, even if its not as smooth or have quite as nice of an interior. We have some sort of third party extended warranty but we can't be without the during the week so I have to do it on a weekend. I will never buy an extended warranty again, completely worthless.

Reply to
Eugene

Doesn't your extended warranty give you a rental?

Reply to
Woody

I don't think so. I think it doesn't cover fluids either.

Reply to
Eugene

"Neil Nelson" wrote

This is just my personal opinion, from my personal observations. The gasket isn't required anymore. Since they changed the o-ring material (been a few years now), the o-rings no longer harden up. I've taken engines apart with the new o-ring and they are as soft and pliable as the day they were installed.

Now, an older 3.4 dohc....I'd probably still install a gasket. I'm not interested in pulling those back apart for a leak.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

My 3rd party warranty does cover rentals on any repair requiring an overnight stay. Your reply gives the impression that you aren't sure how much coverage you have. Sounds like you have some readin' to do. H

Reply to
Hairy

The reason I thought it didn't was because it doesn't on my S-10 and its the same warranty company and even the same warranty plan name on the Impala. Seems though they will reimburse for a rental and cover consumables on the impala since we bought the warranty while it was still in the factory warranty but they don't on the S-10 because it was past the factory warranty when we bought it.

Reply to
Eugene

Reply to
Joseph A. Zupko

i see a lot of the old styles not any of the new ones yet the problem is the bolts loosen up mostly on the ends the new gasket has o crush sleeve to handle the new torque specs and dex cool is every 5 years but its important to keep an eye on leaks and keep the level full

Reply to
Hay Now