GM 3100 with Coolant problem - Help?

I believe I have a 1995 gm 3100 in a ciera with the all too famous coolant problem. I have some questions for the experts who have dealt with this before. I would really aprreciate any information so I can
make sure my mechanic does it right.
Do you need to replace the upper and lower manifold gaskets?
What is the exact new gasket I need to get from GM?
Can the system totally be flushed and replaced with green antifreeze?
What causes that sludge/mud you see in the reservior?
How much/how many hours of labor should this take?
from what I have read before, replacing the gaskets should do it. Is there anything else we need to look at while we are in there?
thank you all for any info you can provide. It has less than 30k on it and I would like to see it go awhile.
Eric
Lower Gasket is the root of the problem, GM has recently up dated the gaskets and hardware, I would stay with the Dex cool, it is almost impossible to flush all the old coolant out and a mix is not recommended. If the coolant is sludged in the block and radiator, then this becomes more of a problem cleaning it up, also check and or replace the radiator cap. I think the flat rate is about 5.5 for the Gaskets only. Closely check to see if the coolant has gotten into the oil, this can "really" be a problem, damaging the bearings over time.

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. Do you know if I have to get the parts from a Dealer? Any recommendations on getting the residue out of the engine or radiator if there is some. I have to check. Any way to high pressure flush it out? Thank you
Eric On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 16:02:45 -0500, "David J and Lynne J Shepherd"