GM (AC Delco) Car Stereo Red Display Faded

I recently purchased a 2000 Pontiac Sunfire with a factory AM/FM/CD/Tape stereo that has a red LCD display. The display is faded on the right half -- the left hand side is very bright, whereas the right hand side is
barely readable.
I live in Ontario, Canada, where the temperatures are quite brutally cold in the winter. The technician at the dealership where I purchased the car explained that the 2000-ish stereos weren't designed with components that were intended to be subjected to such an environment and that this was the cause of the defect.
Now, I don't know how much truth there is in that story, but I guess that it is believable. He assures me that GM is aware of the problem (apparently there were many complaints at the time) and that this has been addressed in later models.
Can anyone tell me if this is accurate? Also, is there a fix, short of replacing the display (at my cost, of course)? The dealership has promised me a replacement stereo as a condition on the sale, but if I can fix it myself, I'd like to keep the stereo that I have. I rather like it, and they can't guarantee me an exact replacement model.
Thanks for any insight, folks.
--
DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying
You may want to check for a poor connection on the ribbon cable that goes to the readout board. I've had to unplug and replug the one on the 2000 Sunfire we have twice in the last 4 years for display fading.
DC wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@charter.net wrote:

[...]
Thank you, I'll look at that. I assume that this solved the problem, then? Do you happen to live in a similar climate? I'd like to isolate the cause of this defect, if I can.
--
DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying
DC wrote:

ambient light or be back lit. It sounds like its back lit and one of the back bulbs is burnt out or has a bad connection.
LED displays generate there own light. But for the most part they have not used them for main displays in awhile. Gas discharge tube displays also generate there own light.
Be aware if you have a theft lock radio that's set and take it out of the car and you DON'T know the code your going to be screwed for more money.
Bob
Bob Urz wrote:

[...]
Sorry, I probably got my terminology screwed up. It is a red matrix of lit red dots. It isn't a LCD like on a calculator, as you describe.
Here's a pic (it's a bit fuzzy, but it's quite sunny out, today -- I can take one at night, if necessary):
http://dcmoose.fateback.com/screens/radio.jpg
As you can see, the right 1/3 of the display is quite dark. The left side actually looks too bright in contrast.

I don't know a thing about electronic components, Bob, but it sounds to em that this is what we are dealing with. I'll let you confirm from the pic.

Boy, am I ever glad you mentioned that! }:O)
--
DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying

This is an actual LCD display with a red backlit, probably just a bulb or a led need replacement.
If you establish a rapport with one of the service advisors at your favorite dealership, they will call in and get the code for you, free of charge. Make sure you have all of your numbers needed.
VIN and ALL of the numbers on the radio. I say this to make sure you have the correct numbers/characters and to make it pretty much effortless for the service advisor.
Secondly, make sure you do not monkey around with the radio trying to find a random code or it will do a hard lockout and you will have to leave the ignition on for over an hour to access the radio again. Staple or write the code in the owners manual for easy reference later.
TM

"TM" <wrote in message news:
<>

Curiously, what models used Delco-loc radios? I've seen reference to them in owners/repair manuals, but have never run across one. Are they only used in high-end models? I've mostly had Chevys and one Saturn.
Bobby The D wrote:

I think pretty much all of the Delco radios since about '96-'97 or so have had it. Some of the latest models don't use that setup anymore, the radio communicates on the vehicle data bus with the other modules and remembers the vehicle VIN number and won't work if moved into a different vehicle.
--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
DC wrote:

it the same bulb this guy used here: http://doghouse.2y.net/gtp/steeringcontrols / You must be very good with a very small soldering tip, btw. GW
DC said

GM components are designed for -40C operation. I highly doubt it's a design flaw. Perhaps the display isn't meeting spec's and failing at a high rate.
GM has a cold weather test facility "next door" in Kapuskasing. I frozen my ass off there several times. ;-) eh?
cold/hot it's no matter - I live on the west coast & I've lived in the midwest & my digital display on my factory installed stereo in my 98 Pontiac Bonneville SE went out 2 months ago - one day it was gone - came back a few times momentarily & then it was gone again?