GM Advertising Is Insane

Page 2 of 3
wrote in message> Then I must ask an obvious question. If you have never required warranty

Are you suggesting that my warranty may be void? I do the work, usually, and keep records and receipts, as permitted by Toyota.
At this rate, it may never make any difference how they honor the warranty. There has been nothing to fix.
wrote in message

Not at all. You said Toyota stands behind there warranty, I asked how you could know that if you have never had to use it.

And that is very good.
hls wrote:

My second 3800-II had the intake sealant issue. GM apparently knew the range of VINs that were affected and sent me a recall letter. Dealer followed up with a personal fonecall and set up an appointment.
Mine was one of the engines that was "weeping," the dealer kept it overnight. Total time w/o the car was about 30 hours. 40K miles later (73,000)it's running great.
My first 3800 was recalled for a #1 bearing replacement (two days at the dealer).
All three 3.8L's I've owned have been great.... change oil, change air filters replace coolant every three years. (now it's 5 years.)
These engines have great fuel specifics, good low end torque and far lower recurring (scheduled) maintenance costs than the engines from Germany or Japan. (I notice that BMW is now tossing in the first 50K for free -- apparently those $ 600 service bills were getting into folks knickers.
Only 3.8L hurdle will be plug and belt replacement around 100K miles, which I believe requires removing an engine mount.

On the Bonneville/LaSabre with the 3800 II, there is a motor mount in the way of changing the belt, but you can pop out the spacer (without removing the mount), and change the belt that way. I didn't know that until I had changed two belts the hard way. ;)

I posted suspecting you were referring to the timing "belt". The serpentine belt is as 80 Knight says.
Lur car slung a serpentine once while we were on the highway because the tensioner failed. The tensioner is a bit special on those engines...it is a tensioner built together with a waterside manifold...

I have a 3800 pre series I that was built up for my Reatta, but never swapped in. I dont believe it has a belt...it is chain, IIRC>
Plugs are not a problem on most of those installations.
I understand that a recall was issued in April, 2009...too late to do me any good.
wrote in message

I own a couple 3800 II engines. What recall are you referring too HLS? I like to keep up to date on these things, but don't recall anything from that month.
wrote in message

I was a little shocked too. I found it, I believe, on Wikipedia. I am not sure what it entails. If I get a little time, I will try to home in on it.
YA' THINK? LOL

Perfect example of American news reporting at its worst. How about simply reporting that GM is offering a 60 day refund on a purchase of one of their products??? Unless they are lying, that is news. Facts. If the media machine deems such information to be of such little importance to report in the first place, then it is another argument. If the media DOES report such things, then they should report FACTS only, and leave out such terms as "buyers remorse", as the "news" article simply becomes another editorial slamming GM.
I can't possibly see how a 60 day free trial period of any product being sold could be bad. Hell, I would love to see a 60 day period on this newsgroup free of Jimbo!

Perfect example of American news reporting at its worst. How about simply reporting that GM is offering a 60 day refund on a purchase of one of their products??? Unless they are lying, that is news. Facts. If the media machine deems such information to be of such little importance to report in the first place, then it is another argument. If the media DOES report such things, then they should report FACTS only, and leave out such terms as "buyers remorse", as the "news" article simply becomes another editorial slamming GM.
I can't possibly see how a 60 day free trial period of any product being sold could be bad. Hell, I would love to see a 60 day period on this newsgroup free of Jimbo! ======================================================= I told Jim I actually give him credit, because he can at least admit when something is good. That is a hell of a lot more then can be said for Canuck.
Well any poll that has BMW building the best overall cars is bogus in my opinion. I agree they build the best performance cars, but best overall? No way. The best overall car cannot be overpriced, unreliable, and expensive to maintain - three BMW traits.
As was the case for the overall poll results, I picked Toyota as producing the most fuel efficient cars. But I wonder is this really true?
Ed

**** You dont watch the Formula One series, do you, CE?
It is, IMO, a shame that BMW is dropping out while losing. They spent a lot of money, and just couldnt win races. Toyota is maybe a little better off, but not much.
Honda was even more of a disaster. They are long gone.
Admittedly, F1 requires a lot of moxie and money, and a bit of luck too. Mercedes and Ferrari make the engines to beat. They hold up well, running 18000-19000 rpm for at least two races (theoretically). Renault has the technology down pretty well too.
No American company has the money, perhaps the technology, and certainly not the engines to show up to these races. You can say that this does not translate to passenger cars, but that wouldnt be quite right.
Ford might have been better off than the others in the engine department, with the Ford Cosworth engines. They sometimes ran very strongly, blew up very loudly.
It can't be, if one reads the CAFE Guide.
Several of the most popular models are bested by others, including several GM and Ford models.
Imports do better, based on the midget cars that have no comparable domestic model, however.

I agree. I know a recent BMW 335i buyer. Great road car, lots of power to go far beyond our speed limits, good room for adults in the front seats (only). But with no spare tire and a small trunk it's only a town car; if you don't pick up your friends at the airport.

No it's not true. Toyota has fallen behind, even the Prius isn't the most fuel efficient. The VW 2.0 L new diesel gets great mileage, without the huge expense of a big battery, needed by hybrids.

We have two Toyotas, one 2007 Avalon and a brand new Solara. Both of these cars get good mileage, but not the greatest I have ever seen. The Avalon with a 3.6 litre engine will get about 32 mpg on the highway. The Solara with a 3.3 litre engine gets slightly less than that. Good mileage, but not great mileage.
If VW had not had such mediocre reviews on quality, I would have been strongly tempted to buy one. Maybe next time.

IMHO, there is always going to be a race of MPG vs Power. Sure, you can get 50 MPG out of a Prius, but it sure won't win any races with it's 110 HP engine. For me, I am totally happy with my 3800 II getting 32MPG and putting out 205 HP, and my other supercharged 3800 II getting 29-30 and putting out 250 HP.

Amazing...we never got anywhere near 30 mpg with our Series II.

80 uses different sized gallons. ;)