GM and DaimlerChrysler to Join Forces

I just read an interesting article at Forbes.com about GM and DaimlerChrysler. They're going joint venture to create hybrid motors that they will both use.
I think that this is smart on behalf on both companies, by joining forces they can cut R&D costs and both profit from the venture.
http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2004/12/13/ap1708811.html
Brian

I had heard that too. The synergies that can be realized of these two great companies to come up with improved technologies over the current production models has great potential.
el Diablo wrote:

And eliminate any competition.

that
forces
Bingo!

With luck we can get Ford in next year & the Japanese in about 5 years, The Europeans in 10 years & do to (err...) I mean "for" the auto industry what Micro$oft has done to .. err I mean "for: the computer industry.
Less competition is good !
with less competition though they can charge whatever they darn well want to with the new technology that invent, am i correct on this
so maybe its a bad thing??

The current hybrids sold by Ford and Toyota was a joint venture, as well. The technology developed in Japan by a Japanese electric company was in collaboration with Nissan, Fords Volvo Division and Toyota. They are gross licensed to the same technology, with Ford using the lasted version on the 2005 Escape.
mike hunt
el Diablo wrote:

Monopoly is never good for customers( see Microsoft, Intel , banks and insurance companies)
Chuck

I hope the reliability factor comes from the Chrysler side of the company and not the Daimler side. Daimler (MB) has been producing a lot of high priced duds the last few years.

apparantly New Venture Gear was successful enough for DC and GM to do another joint venture.
-Bret