GM CD Problems

Hey Guys:
I've had my share of GM CD players kick the bucket, but I'm wondering if anyone has encountered the problem where the player has trouble feeding and
ejecting the CD? It's as if the mechanism is gunked up and can't get a good grip on the CD. Just wondering if anyone has messed around with this problem and found any good fix.
Thanks,
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

You get some sticky on the disks (like when a pop can opens and sprays) and that gets ingested into the machine with the dirty disks. It then gets on the load rollers and gums things up. You can try to take the radio out, take the CD mech out and clean the load rollers with q-tip and isopropyl 90+. If your lucky, it might help. If not, you got broken mech parts and gears.
Bob
-

Pretty much what I expected Bob. I suspect that the problem originated with home made CD labels and one in particular that apparently did not dry properly, thereby gunking up the roller mechanism. I've toyed with the idea of sticking non-glossy labels on both sides of a disk, and soaking them with isopropyl, and trying to insert it a few times to see if it would pick up anything from the rollers. Maybe get lucky and clean them in essentially the same way I suspect they got boogered up. If not, I guess I just pull it out of the dash. Life would be so much easier if there were practical replacements for these units.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

I have a new Malibu SS with the 6 cd changer. And while I never used "labeled" cd's, the unit nonetheless jammed after 3 weeks. It was simply replaced with a new unit as the dealer said it was impossible to get the cd's out. I guess the units have a built in defect.

Ugh! Bad experience Ted, but good outcome. Mine isn't a changer though. It's just the in-dash CD player that is part of the Monsoon system. Really a nice stereo system in all, but right now it's just got this little problem.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

What about a used deck? I bought a used CD deck to replace the tape deck in one of my '96 Bonnie's. Cost me around $75 (Canadian) from a salvage yard. After I unlocked the deck, it worked great.

Indeed an option. Used GM CD decks are terribly priced around Central NY though. Was hoping not to have to go that route, but if cleaning it does not work, it will be one of my more immediate options.