GM Chevrolet plant workers strike

May 5, 2008: 10:49 AM EDT
United Auto Workers 2,500-strong Local 31 hits 'Car of the Year' facility; GM lost $3.3B in first quarter.
http://money.cnn.com/2008/05/05/news/companies/gm_strike.ap/index.htm?section=money_latest
KANSAS CITY, Kan. (AP) -- Members of a United Auto Workers union local went on strike Monday at General Motors' Fairfax facility -- hitting the plant that makes GM's popular Malibu sedan.
During talks over the weekend, UAW Local 31 set a Monday morning strike deadline because union negotiators believed the two sides remained far from an agreement. The Fairfax plant employs more than 2,500 UAW members.
The plant makes the Chevrolet Malibu, a medium-sized sedan that was named "Car of the Year" at this year's North American International Auto Show in Detroit.
The strike hits a key GM (GM, Fortune 500) product at a time when the company can ill afford it.
Last week GM announced that it lost $3.3 billion in the first quarter, due largely to one-time charges and North American losses that offset gains in the rest of the world.
Gosi wrote:

http://money.cnn.com/2008/05/05/news/companies/gm_strike.ap/index.htm?section=money_latest
GM Chapter 11 coming soon.
--
Civis Romanus Sum

You and your ilk have been predicting this for some time now. Talk's cheap.......care to tell us, how soon?
Dave
Hairy wrote:

Frustrated owners try to unload their guzzlers http://tinyurl.com/3tjlua
Oil nears $123 on $200 oil prediction, supply concerns http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080506/oil_prices.html?.v
Strike may dent Malibu sales http://tinyurl.com/4gsvej
etc., etc.
If that $200/barrel price for oil ever comes to pass we will see the collapse of the auto industry in the US or its 1st cousin. $200 oil will devastate us even though Europe pays two or three times what we pay per gallon. Either way we are in for very rough times, especially if Detroit insists on doing business the old way.
--
Civis Romanus Sum

Okay,...............in other words, you were just talking out of your ass. Big surprise.
Hairy wrote:

You can't read or comprehend basic facts?
--
Civis Romanus Sum

According to Automotive News
GM Stops Building GMC Yukon, Denali, Sierra, Heavy Duty; and Chevrolet Tahoe
there is no end in sight to General Motors' North American profit drought
If the American Axle strike continues, there might be additional production cuts