GM claims it's first to sell million 30+ mpg vehicles

From AB

Four Chevrolet cars ? the Spark, Cruze, Sonic and Volt ? achieve

30 mpg or better in EPA combined city and highway driving. Combined 2012 sales of GM's mini, small and compact cars are expected to be up about 39 percent, driven by the launches of the Spark and Buick Verano, and the ongoing success of the Chevrolet Sonic, Cruze and Volt. About 40 percent of GM's vehicles by sales volume are powered by fuel-efficient four-cylinder engines ? 10 percentage points higher than in 2010. GM's two highest fuel-economy four-cylinder models are the 42-mpg Chevrolet Cruze Eco and the 40-mpg Chevrolet Sonic, both of which are powered by a turbocharged 1.4L ECOTEC engine mated to a six-speed manual transmission. Chevrolet and Buick dealers delivered more than 50,000 vehicles that use advanced lithium-ion battery technology. Chevrolet Volt sales totaled more than 23,000 units, making the car the country's best-selling plug-in vehicle. Combined sales of the Chevrolet Malibu, Buick Regal and Buick LaCrosse powered by eAssist, which delivers EPA-estimated highway fuel economy of up to 37 mpg, totaled more than 30,000 units.

In 2013, Buick will launch the 33-mpg Buick Encore crossover, Cadillac will introduce the ELR extended-range electric vehicle and Chevrolet will expand availability of eAssist to include the all-new Impala. Chevrolet will also introduce a 2.0-liter clean diesel powertrain for the Chevrolet Cruze and a full-electric powertrain for the Spark.

The launch of the Spark EV will make GM the first company to build a complete electric motor and drive unit for a modern electric vehicle in the United States. By 2017, GM will have up to 500,000 vehicles on the road with some form of electrification, with a focus on plug-in technology.

GM will release its December 2012 sales today at 10 a.m. EST.

Reply to
MummyChunk

I own three GM....and love them....but the day-to-day "WOW!" at 30mpg in

2013 is ffffing stooooopid. I routinely got 32+ in my 1990 (sic) VW Jetta back in 1994. (Yes I owned a VW, it was my winter car, while my GTO stayed in the garage.) GW
Reply to
Geoff Welsh