GM: Dealers Rig Customer Satisfaction Surveys

GM: Dealers Rig Customer Satisfaction Surveys http://newsmanager.commpartners.com/nadahead/issues/2007-09-10.html#1
General Motors says it is tossing the results of some recent customer
satisfaction surveys because dealers tampered with the responses. That decision could cost offending dealerships big factory bonuses. GM surveys customers who buy new vehicles or submit factory warranty claims about their satisfaction with the dealership's performance. Dealerships that get high scores on those surveys and meet sales targets are eligible for quarterly cash incentives that can reach six figures. The satisfaction surveys are sent to customers' homes to discourage dealer influence. Customers respond by mail or online. But an unsigned bulletin that GM sent dealers Aug. 14 says "certain online responses are being received from some dealerships." GM says it is making "appropriate adjustments" to third-quarter survey scores "to reflect interference." GM spokeswoman Susan Garontakos told Automotive News the interference "was not widespread." Some GM dealers say survey tampering occurs because of the high stakes. Under GM's Standards for Excellence program, they note, a dealership can lose its entire quarterly bonus if it falls a fraction of a percentage point below its prescribed score. National Automobile Dealers Association Chairman Dale Willey says he agrees that "it's best to let customers respond on their own" to satisfaction surveys.
Influencing CSI surveys has been an ongoing issue, I could tell some stories on how we did this in the GM service depts.

-

That would be interesting to hear, Shep.
Please tell us! Every survey for every car I ever owned, foreign or domestic, was mailed to my home and returned by me, to the company doing the survey. How do you think the manufacture or their dealer could have adversely influenced" my opinion of my car to "Rig" the survey?
mike

How about I offer you a free oil change if you bring in the blank survey and leave it with me? There are other more sophisticted methods, but I can't go further here. The pressure put on dealers to match their required percentrages can drive the service dept nuts, to the point that you spend more time concentrating on that then fixing cars, which should be the obvious number one focus of the repair shop!

-
But this goes on with ALL dealers, not only GM. As long as there are awards there will be people finding ways to influence them. The dealer I bought my Honda from put more pressure on influencing the survey than selling me the van....

Correct, this situation is across the board with all the car mfg.'s

-

I've had dealers tell me how important it is, how they get rated, etc, but I've never had one use unethical tactics to influence what I told the manufacturer.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Nor have I, Ed. We just bought a new car earlier this year. The staff did tell us we would be getting a survey to rate the service and that they hoped they had done a good job and that we would be satisfied.
We were. These people were professionals, service and customer oriented. We were treated like royalty.
They worked, however, for Toyota.