GM Does Something Right - 2009 Camaro a Go

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Auto_News/Auto_News/RELEASE_Camaro_Confirmed_for_2009.S175.A10745.html
I wonder what platform this is being built off of? It is said to
feature independent rear suspension, so perhaps the Cadillac CTS is the starting point???? Does anyone know?
John
Hate to say it but it looks like a Mustang.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Auto_News/Auto_News/RELEASE_Camaro_Confirmed_for_2009.S175.A10745.html

Nothing original EH! Just copy cats, no original thought?

Last I heard it was the same "Zeta" or "Global RWD Architecture" platform as the next gen Impala/Monte Carlo. Apparently the same as this: http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/action/modeloverview?modelid@00 .
Correct me if I'm wrong.
Steve
John Horner wrote:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Auto_News/Auto_News/RELEASE_Camaro_Confirmed_for_2009.S175.A10745.html
Tell me what price point it will be set at and I'll tell you whether I'm excited or not. IMHO the GTO got clobbered not because it sucked (it didn't) but because it was too expensive to be considered by people just looking for transportation, but possibly willing to pay a small premium for a fun to drive car.
RWD and IRS is a good start, though.
nate
N8N wrote:

The GTO also completely lacked the looks to go with it's heritage.
The original Camaro was a competitive response to the original Mustang and this new one is once again a response to Ford's revitalized Mustang.
That being the case, I would expect GM to offer a range of models at price points which compete strongly with the current Mustang.
The recent GTO was a bad idea from the day the LiGhT BuLb went off in Bob Lutz's well paid head. He just insisted that the one remaining rear wheel drive car in the GM empire, in this case from Australia, would be just the thing to bring back excitement to the Pontiac brand. Nice try, but bzzzt. Now the Solstice is another story!
John

Building a car to a price is never a good idea though. It's a setup for poor quality material.
Steve
Not quite the build cost determined by economies of scale and the level of sophistication, but the market sets the MSRP. Look at cars that are sold around the world a widely spaced retail pricing yet the build cost is the same.
mike hunt

Steve Mackie wrote:

All cars are built to a planned price point, even expensive ones. Engineering is all about tradeoffs.
John
Steve Mackie wrote:

Given that we're talking about a Chevy, I assumed that was coming with it no matter what the price point.
nate
(sadly, I'm not really joking.)
--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

They did something right? Too late, every car manufacturer has beat them in the re-release game. And besides, it's fugly...
It will be built in the US on a version of ,an Australian Holden RWD chassis. The car shown at car shows and published with the announcement, was built on a Corvette chasses.
mike hunt

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Auto_News/Auto_News/RELEASE_Camaro_Confirmed_for_2009.S175.A10745.html
What makes you think it will be built in the US?

Other countries would not want to be associated with such an ugly car? Well, maybe France would build it in the old Citroen plant.
Japan would, no country makes as many ugly cars as they do in Japan ;)
mike hunt

GMs report to stockholders says so.
mike hunt

The big talk around here is its going to be built at the Oshawa, Ontario plant. It's the #1 plant in the world, they deserve it.

80 Knight wrote:

Oshawa it is. Expect the announcement Monday morning. More Zeta models are to follow.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060818.wgmweb0818/BNStory/Business/home
Jane

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060818.wgmweb0818/BNStory/Business/home
That is going to make a lot of people around here very happy. Thanks for the news Jane!
80 Knight wrote:

Including me! I'm a plant #2 employee with 7 yrs to retirement. I'm estatic, believe me!
Jane
Thanks for the