GM Drops 27.7 Percent in July

GM wants you to know the not-so-very-new-anymore Chevy Malibu's total sales were up 79 percent in July. The penalty box known as the Chevy Aveo was up 17 percent. The Saturn Aura was up 24 percent. And Cadillac CTS sales were up 38 percent. That's what they put in the bold print right at the top of their July sales press release. However, down in the body you find the real story: overall sales were down 27.7 percent. The auto side's uptick was more than offset by a whopping 41.5 percent drop on the truck side. Something else that's easy to miss is the word "total" in front of some of the sales numbers (like Malibu above). When GM's spinmeisters talk about great "retail" sales of some models, that's a sure sign that fleet sales made up the bulk of the "total" sales mentioned for other models. Just like the numbers other manufacturers show in press releases, these numbers have been adjusted for the number of "sales days;" unadjusted numbers aren't available yet. Rest assured Chris and y'all: we'll share 'em when we have 'em.

Reply to
Jim Higgins

This is actually a good sign for GM; their trucks have been traditionally way more appealing than their cars. If they're selling more cars, even to fleet buyers, they're on the right track.

From what I've heard, the MAlibu is actually somewhat appealing but I haven't had a chance to drive one yet (will soon though; the company heaver just hit its mileage limit on the way home from work today so hopefully I'll be ordering a new car soon.) Maybe if it succeeds GM won't be so hesitant to "import" their European and Australian designs anymore, which are, frankly, better than the homegrown ones.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel