GM dumps GTO

Due to slower-than-expected sales and the expense of recertifying the vehicle for 2007 emissions and safety standards, GM has told dealers that this year will be the last for the Pontiac GTO, with the last vehicles hitting US shores in September. Having sold 13,500 units in '04 and 11,600 last year, the GTO never quite lived up to expectations.

Tim or Linda

time to dump GM stocks and cars too.

Reply to
bogusass123

Sad to see the GTO depart, especially since Mustang & Charger sales are doing so well. I guess you got to give then consumer what they want.

Makes one wonder if the new " Camaro " be another 3 year wonder.

G'day mate!

Harryface

05 Park Avenue 34,255 91 Bonneville LE 306,010
Reply to
Harry Face

HaH! I told them not to release that crap before they made it.Sticking the GTO name on a foreign car...hah!...thats preposterous!

Reply to
Jebidiah Springfield

they had it coming. How stupid is GM really. Take the worst of two worlds. a bland model (most japanese models) under an american badge....

Reply to
RT

Huh? This is one GM product I would have bought, had it just been a little more affordable. IMHO it should have been the basis for all their mid-size passenger cars in the US as opposed to whatever FWD POS chassis they're using for the Malibu/Impala.

And BTW it's Australian not Japanese. That's a Good Thing; Australians, both Ford and GM (Holden,) make better traditional American cars than any American company has in their current product lineup.

Stupid, stupid, stupid GM.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Similar to the Toyota two sweater with the 4cy engine. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I agree on that part and that MIGHT have saved it although it's still super bland.

I never said it was japanese. I said it was bland like japanese models (or tried to say that )

Reply to
RT

Just checked the LS1.Com. Yes, Pontiac is pulling the GTO. New Fed. regulations make it too costly to retool. In light of the fact Holden is changing platforms there is no business case to retool.

Per the GM news release, there is a need for a RWD V-8 from Pontiac. But, nothing what could be coming in 08. Maybe an LS Soltise?

Here is the link to the press release:

brxsep

Reply to
Steve G.

I would have bought one if the price were at about $20k, if it had a different body that was pleasing to the eye, and if it were American.

Reply to
Jebidiah Springfield

Reply to
Jebidiah Springfield

I can't believe you fell for that news release. The reason they're not building a 2007 is they don't sell very well. The exchange rate is disadvantageous, and the cars cost more than folks will pay. The comments on the cost to make another model were just a polite way of getting out of it.

Pontiac is apparently going to get some kind of rear drive car in 2008, but they seem to be struggling with just what that is. Rumors are flying now. Canceling the GTO seems to suggest they don't need continuity to a future

2008 GTO. You'd think that means the Camaro will have a sister car, and it may not be a GTO. but that's no guarantee. I suppose that they've figured out that as bad as Firebird sales were, the new GTO makes that look like a best seller.

Joe

If that's true, I might just be a future GTO owner. I doubt $15K will do it though. Sadly.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I predicted a 2 year run before it was cancelled back in this newsgroup back in 2003...I agree that you most definitley have to give the consumer what they want..Ford gets it, Chrysler gets it...The new Challenger will fly out of the showrooms...Mustangs are selling faster than they could build them...But GM STILL won't go retro..Use a retro name, you better have a car with retro styling or it won't work...Oddly enough, I'm willing to bet that the GTO would have sold MUCH better had they called it something other than GTO and would probably never have gotten cancelled.....They're doing it again with the Camaro..The original design looked much like the 69' Camaro..It was beautiful!!!...GM then stated that the car "looks too much like the original" and butchered it to what we see in the auto shows today....They must be smoking some strange shit over there at GM....I'm convinced that GM will be selling nothing but trucks in 10 years...They've gone brain dead, completely unaware of what their target market wants...Sometimes I wonder if they even have a target market!!!!.....If they don't do something soon, GM is doomed....

Jeff Foglietta

Harry Face wrote:

Reply to
Jeff

$15K barely covers the shipping charges ... lol

The new Goat wasn't put into the same market as the original -- hot-rod sedan -- they tried to make it an American-style grand touring coupe. The car might have made it if the price was better and the body didn't look so much like a Cavalier coupe. First impressions aren't just important in this market, they're VITAL !!

Reply to
Chris

I suspect the Camaro will do alright if its priced right in the low to high $20s depending on options. Just like in the first Camaros people were getting value for there dollar. Basically they were buying race cars from the dealer that many 18 and 19 year olds could afford just by working a job at a gas station and living at home. The GTO was the same way but a little more expensive than the camaro. But the new GTO was too over priced for a car that didnt even have a street appealing look. The old GTO/Tempest/LeManns you could tell what it was a block away just buy the admirable body style. So if GM make the Camaro very affordable so young and old can afford it should do well.

Reply to
Drum maker for Justice

Agreed.....Would have sold every one of them if they marketed it as a Cavalier on steroids rather than call it a GTO..When you bring a car back to life, It doesn't matter if it's GTO, Road Runner, 442....There will be expectations from the buying public as to what this car should look like...They will, just by the name, have visions of the originals in their head when they finally see the new model..then they're shocked!! First impressions are indeed vital...GM execs can't see what sells today??? How can this be?? Its mind boggling..Never thought they would be this clueless....

Jeff Foglietta

Reply to
Jeff

I suspect you are right.

Reply to
Shoe Shine Boy

If GM was smart they'd dump all the Chevy/Pontiac cars, retool the entire Holden line for left-hand drive and give them to Chevy/Pontiac to sell. Would be one hell of an improvement.

Go take a look at the Holden cars on their web site and you'll see what I mean (I'd KILL for a UTE or a Commodore {which would be a nice way to bring back the Impala SS).

Regards,

Bill Bowen Sacramento, CA

P.S. and Yes, my UTE would have to have "roo bars"

Reply to
William H. Bowen