GM dumps GTO

Page 2 of 2
Tom S wrote:

I am in complete agreement Tom!

We drove one and loved it. The interior is sumptious and very comfortable for the front passengers and it's enormous fun to drive. The tiny trunk and the near-useless back seats, though, ultimately lead us to get another car. If we weren't ever planning to take a trip with luggage in it, a GTO would be in the driveway now! If we were in the market for 2 brand-new cars, a GTO would be a perfect second car.
--
"Did Father shoot him? I will eat Grandfather for dinner."
- Helen Keller, on learning of the death of her grandfather

uhm, they didn't make the M3's (the current one) until 2001. 2002's now go for 38 (immaculate) to 34 ish . Ever driven an M3 with smg on a road track ? Good luck keeping up with the GTO. Even straight line you'll have a hard time beating 60ms upshifts. I guess you get what you pay for. (and what it's worth to you)

Maybe a barebones one. I have yet to see abarebones <3. Most are decked out with every option minus navigation.

the GTO name on a foreign car...hah!...thats preposterous!

they had it coming. How stupid is GM really. Take the worst of two worlds. a bland model (most japanese models) under an american badge....
RT wrote:

Huh? This is one GM product I would have bought, had it just been a little more affordable. IMHO it should have been the basis for all their mid-size passenger cars in the US as opposed to whatever FWD POS chassis they're using for the Malibu/Impala.
And BTW it's Australian not Japanese. That's a Good Thing; Australians, both Ford and GM (Holden,) make better traditional American cars than any American company has in their current product lineup.
Stupid, stupid, stupid GM.
nate
--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

super bland.

I never said it was japanese. I said it was bland like japanese models (or tried to say that )

I would have bought one if the price were at about $20k, if it had a different body that was pleasing to the eye, and if it were American.
Then you should have bought a Camaro when you could. But you didn't, did you?

You are confusing tasteful with bland. And if you think it was a bland car, you should go drive one. It's the best car GM sells in this country (except for Corvette). That's if you like to drive and don't need "hey look at me" styling.

Similar to the Toyota two sweater with the 4cy engine. ;)
mike hunt

The only problem, IMHO, is that the GTO looks like a GrandAm or any other Pontiac. Other than that it is an awesome car. I want one.

wrote in message
You can probably get a real good deal on them now. Walk in with about $15k in cold cash, they will take it just to clear it off the lot.
Jebidiah Springfield wrote:

If that's true, I might just be a future GTO owner. I doubt $15K will do it though. Sadly.
nate
--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
wrote in message

$15K barely covers the shipping charges ... lol
The new Goat wasn't put into the same market as the original -- hot-rod sedan -- they tried to make it an American-style grand touring coupe. The car might have made it if the price was better and the body didn't look so much like a Cavalier coupe. First impressions aren't just important in this market, they're VITAL !!
Agreed.....Would have sold every one of them if they marketed it as a Cavalier on steroids rather than call it a GTO..When you bring a car back to life, It doesn't matter if it's GTO, Road Runner, 442....There will be expectations from the buying public as to what this car should look like...They will, just by the name, have visions of the originals in their head when they finally see the new model..then they're shocked!! First impressions are indeed vital...GM execs can't see what sells today??? How can this be?? Its mind boggling..Never thought they would be this clueless....
Jeff Foglietta
No one, no one would ever pay $30,000 for any Cavalier. Ever. And there's no way they could have sold it for less and made any money. It is an expensive, higher end car, no Cavalier, no Malibu, no Grand Am (ever notice how close Grand Am is to Grand Ma?), no etc. Closest GM competitor is the CTS and the GTO looks better, is better built, and goes far faster.
They should have sold it as a Holden semi-exotic. Trouble with that is there is no reason the Pontiac sales force would have been competent to sell it. They probably did think it's a Grand Am or some other Pontiac crap on steroids. Maybe they should have sold it through Saab shops. Or alongside the Corvette.

Tim or Linda wrote:

Another half-assed GM effort gets put to sleep. Haven't we seen this movie a 100 times before?
John

Haven't we seen your anti-GM opinion 100 times before?