GM, Ford reputations take a hit

Page 8 of 8

Mike the world is much more integrated than your little outdated view of it tells you and this flow of parts around the world has been going on for a long time.
-When the big 2.5 buy parts from Delphi it is very likely they are imported. Delphi import most of their parts. As of the Chapter 11 filing last April Delphi employed 32,000 UAW and other union workers in the USA plus 115,000-worker foreign factories, many of which operate in low-wage countries such as Mexico and China.
-Toyota builds engines in the USA, but Chrysler imports the 2.7L V6 from Mexico. -In 1980 I removed a damaged wheel rim from my Chrysler Horizon and noticed it was made in Mexico. That was the Chrysler car using a VW engine made in Germany. -Last summer I replaced the blower resistor in my wife's Sebring. The old resistor was made in Mexico, the replacement in Slovenia. -Car carrying ships returning to Asia return with NA parts. Here we have a major Al wheel factory. They ship wheels to Japan and Korea on the returning car carrying ships.
You need to read more and become up to date: http://www.td.com/economics/special/ca0506_autos.jsp

American Big 3 currently account for about 44% of North American sales. However, many of the major foreign automobile companies now provide the bulk of their North American sales from their production facilities on this continent. As a result, imports account for only 20% of sales of light vehicles in the United States and just under 25% in Canada.
U.S. imports of motor vehicle parts are quite diversified with about 50% coming from overseas markets. At the end of the 1990s, Mexico surpassed Canada as a supplier of parts to the U.S. market. U.S. parts imports from China have just recently become important, and they are growing rapidly. U.S. imports of car parts from Japan have been flat, while the purchases of U.S.-made parts by the Japanese ³transplants² has soared, reflecting the fact that Japanese suppliers followed the Japanese assemblers in setting up operations in North America. Canada imports parts almost exclusively from the United States, although one should recognize that some of these parts may be originating overseas, but are landing first in the U.S. before being shipped to Canada.

Add pictures here
βœ–

U.S. parts imports from China have just recently become important, and they are growing rapidly.
And this is what scares the heck out of me. How are the auto makers going to keep the counterfeit parts made in unauthorized factories out of their cars. If I had the opportunity to bet on this I would wager every last bit of my assets that this is going to become a MAJOR problem for Chinese sourced parts
U.S. imports of car parts from Japan have been flat, while the

Double Tap
Add pictures here
βœ–
Don't be fooled by that, Japanese companies assembling in the US and Canada buy the majority of the part from other Japanese companies operating in the US. The parts they buy from them are preassembled over seas and completed in the US or Canada so the parts can be labeled made in the US and Canada. I E Nippon steel which comes into the US by the boat load, Bridgestone tires, Desno Globe parts etc. they do it to take advantage of Japanese tax laws that permit them to take profit out of the US federal tax free.
One reason there are far few Japanese brands made or sold in Europe is the tax laws their are not so lenient. The must pay the Value added tax on all the profit they earn in Europe and do not get the capital return tax back in Japan for exporting or making cars and trucks outside of Japan, like they do on earning brought back to Japan from the US.
mike

Add pictures here
βœ–

Mike, The above was not my post you sniped my part out. Double Tap
Add pictures here
βœ–
My reply was to the thread, not you particular response, OK?
mike

Add pictures here
βœ–
Not really, if you are going to snip my entire post then also snip my name so it does not appear as if I posted something I did not. OK ? Double Tap

Add pictures here
βœ–

βœ–

Managing to keep threads based on ridiculous claims alive.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Keeping awake by posting old history as current facts.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 22:04:23 +0000, Double Tap got out the hammer and chisel and etched in the wall:

Of course, since you top-posted, you completely lost your argument on whatever it was.
HTH!
But then, since you're using Windows, I guess that can't be helped.
Here - at least replace Virus Express with something halfway (for a Wintendo program) decent:
http://www.40tude.com/dialog /
http://www.download.com/Xnews/3000-2164_4-10144167.html
http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird /
I've used all of the above when forced to downgrade to Wintendo.
--
kai

Free Compean and Ramos
βœ–

βœ–

From the cripple Korean company GM picked up on the bankruptcy trash heap. I looked at two of them when they first came out, obviously very inferior construction, just from a quick external look.
Add pictures here
βœ–
The cars GM sells that are made in Korea are Suzuki's, no Korean designs. They made in the former Daewoo factories GM acquired.. They are similar in size to all the Japanese cars that are imported into the US, by Toyota, Honda etal.
mike

Add pictures here
βœ–

anymore?
Personally I don't care. I've had Firestone tires twice on new cars and they were the tires I've ever had. So bad I had to trash them very early in their expected life.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Yaris, DC will not make money on the Smart.
The Smart is inadequate as a single car for two people. Two people can't even do their weekly grocery shopping with it. As a second car for commuting it's OK, but many would find public transport better. In Canada it did sell quite well in the first year, but it's been obvious many sales Iprobably most) were commercial.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Yet in Europe, it is a popular car and quite adequate. That said, I'll have a Fiat waiting for me at the Milan Airport. Not much bigger though.
Add pictures here
βœ–

I had to go to the Buick zone representative a few years ago when I encountered a dealership that couldnt seem to repair the serious problem, wasnt interested, and wouldnt listen.
After 5-6 visits to the dealership, with the service manager telling me he couldnt find the problem if is it intermittent, I asked him to let me ride with the mechanic and I would show him what was happening. No dice.
Then I asked if he had checked TSBs on this car. He said he had.
As soon as I called the rep, he knew immediately what was wrong, said that a bulletin had been issued, and contacted the dealership.
Within minutes the service manager called me, all upset, asking why I called zone, that it could get them in trouble. Tough shit!
The owner called me and apologized.
Yes, the manufacturer can demand quality if they want to.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Look at the bright side, they still have a better rep than Geo Bush and his leutenants.
Add pictures here
βœ–