GM Gives Up on the Minivan Market

Page 1 of 3
I guess this is another segment that Detroit is handing over to Asia on a platter. Ford is also said to be giving up on trying to build a competitive minivan. I guess that leaves the Germans, the Japanese and
the Koreans in the segment.
Have you ever noticed that when a segment stops growing, the US makers abandon it, yet Toyota & Honda keep going at it?
http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/061122/gm_minivans.html?.v=2
John
Ford is in the lead in that regard. Minivan sales have been in a continuing downhill slide for several years. Chrysler dominates the segment, nobody else even come close. Crossovers and AWD cars are the current rage. That is where Ford is putting their limited funds at the moment, with four AWD cars on the market today, two more coming in 2008 like the MKT, the new Towncar replacement. F.M.C. has two crossovers coming to market as we speak and another in 2008. The only Japanese contender, in the medium priced AWD car and crossover market, is Subaru and they are in the bottom end of that market.
mike hunt

Mike Hunter wrote:

Which is my point. Ford and GM chase the fad of the moment and abandon established markets. Then when the fad shifts, they will once again be caught with their pants down. GM gave up on the sport coupe market when it was declining and killed the Camaro/Firebird. Now they are scrambling to get back in that game.
Ford replacing the Town Car, gee, do you think it might be time???? Nah, give it a few more decades. At least they are giving the replacement a snappy marketing name :(.
John
Duh! Ford IS following the market toward AWD car and Crossovers and getting out of the established market that is waning fast. . Can we assume your degree is not marketing? ;)
mike

My money is on animal husbandry or sociology.
Is that something like gay marriage? ;)
mike hunt
"Scott" <homealone.com> wrote in message

FOLLOWING is the word Mike. Subaru is having a chuckle I'm sure.
Ford sells more of them in a Month the Suby sells in a year ;)
mike

The original Plymouth minivan was a perfect market fit.
Detroit then "improved" it by making minivans that looked like beached whales.
<rj>
John Horner wrote:

Don't forget Chrysler which started the segment and is STILL the leader.
Dave wrote:

Note I included the Germans. Chrysler is a subsidiary of a German company now and is no more "American" than Honda USA is.
John
No so. Chrysler is the American division of DC, as such it is subject to federal corporate income tax laws on the profits earned in the US. The Japanese companies operating within the US are just that, wholly owned sales companies and not subject to US tax laws. Japanese companies operating in the US do not pay federal corporate income taxes on the millions in profits, earned in the US on the cars sold or assembled in the US. Japanese corporations do not have that tax advantage in Europe. That is one reason Japanese cars do not sell as well in Europe.
mike

Ah yes, you are thinking clearly.
Thank god...mini vans suck and are for woman anyway, when was the last time you saw a man driving a mini van??

Many men drive mini van's. If you think they are 'only for women' then you are as much as a dipshit as Horner.
wrote in message

Hickabob is right mini vans were designed for women.

I disagree. They can be very helpful with men with kids, or men with lots of business stuff to carry around.
I've had quite a few minivans, albeit mostly Dodge Caravans. They get good gas mileage, have good power -- and I could stack 4' X 8' sheets of plywood between the wheelwells and get the rear hatch door shut -- while my Dakota pickup (longbox) didn't have 4' between ITS wheelwells, nor the length required! Also, as other posters said, excellent for camping, firewood, equipment, etc. From a practical standpoint, my Caravan c/v (cargo) was probably one of my favorite vehicles I've ever had.
1st Lt. Hanley wrote:

I disagree. they're great haulers for home projects. I get 26-27MPG on trips carrying a lot of gear! and average over 20MPG driving "around town". Crossovers are too small to carry a sheet of plywood or drywall. You need a larger SUV to do that...then you're in the 16MPG gas mileage range. No thanks!
jcr wrote:

I thought that once. Then we bought a minivan and got 15mpg around town, had to remove seats and store them somewhere to haul anything. Visiting my parents in the mountains of WV would eat up our brakes so I ended up needing to replace brake pads and rotors once a year. Being front wheel drive based it required regular alignments to keep from ruining tires. I bought a full size extended cab 4x4 truck and get better gas milage and don't have to do any maintenance but change the oil and can still carry the same amount of people but don't have to remove any seats to carry cargo.