GM goes further down the dumper; NiHM battery supplier broke due to Chevron

Categorically untrue. Your car does not understand wind-chill. Wind-chill is a reference for people only.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

How can wind make air at -34 C colder than -34 C? It will cool off the car faster, but it won't make it any cold than -34 C.

Reply to
Jeff

And other animals exposed to the cold, like dogs and cats.

Reply to
Jeff

You well know how this works Jeff - the wind blows some of those electrons away, robbing the car of its full starting power.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Well yeah - but they don't complain about it.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Of course wind chill readings are always prefaced by "feels like". But at any rate what I said was: A car sitting in about -34C with no wind will stand a better chance starting than one sitting in -34C with a windchill of -46. Which says nothing about cold or colder, just what I observed this past winter out on my street. And what CAA wait times would likely confirm. I dunno. Come spend 30 days here next January or February and find out. As wind chill readings rise the time required to freeze exposed flesh drops. I work outside in all weather and can assure all that -46/-56 wind chill separates the men from the boys and you will need to warm up more frequently than at -34 and no wind. And I wouldn't want to "currently" depend on an electric car here.

Reply to
William W Western

Oh yeah, they do! If I'd leave my Buster out in the cold morn air after taking his morning constitutional, he'd sure bang on the door to have me let him into the warm house!

Sidebar: Dogs aren't affected by "wind chill" on the same magnitude as humans, as they do not sweat except through their tongues and feet. "Wind chill" is a psychometric phenomenon, similar to what happened when you measure atmospheric moisture with a psychrometer...the wick on the wet bulb thermometer shows a depressed temperature from the dry bulb due to evaporation of water. Same happens to people or any animal that sweats through the skin.

It does NOT affect cars, except to cool them down to atmospheric temperature faster.

Reply to
DeserTBoB

I hope you are in good shape, that a rather large area and things a pretty far apart up there. ;)

Reply to
Mike hunt

I see you still have a problem working out percentages. LOL

"Jeff" <

Reply to
Mike hunt

$1 billion / 50 billion gallons = $1 / 50 gallons = $0.02 per gallon.

Get a clue Mike.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

You have an amazing power of observation then. There is no association between wind-chill and your car starting.

What are CAA wait times? In what way do they confirm your car starting easier or with more difficulty?

Exposed flesh is completely different than inanimate objects. Do yourself a favor before you make yourself look even more foolish - go read up on wind-chill.

Of course - that's because you are a (ready...?) human. Wind chill affects humans and some animals. Not inanimate objects. With statements like this (above), you really prove that your observation skills need work.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

To take it a little further in the sidebar - many animals are not subject to wind-chill. Those with heavy coats that protect their skin from exposure don't really experience wind-chill - or at least not in any way similar to what humans do.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Oh....right. I forgot.

You figure it out for me, I'm too duhmn....

Read up? Why? I live in it 5 months a year. Which is, I suppose, pretty foolish.

(ready?) Hey-yoh. And I am still not sure why my original observation (based on the last several week's experience) that: A car sitting in about -34C with no wind will stand a better chance starting than one sitting in -34C with a windchill of -46. is so outrageous. Perhaps there were other phenomena at work. Or maybe the windchill had me so flummoxed the car started and I did not even realize it. As they say, the windchill separates the men from the boys. Or maybe the wind drives the temperature of the engine to the ambient temperature quicker. Or maybe the wind blew snow into the engine compartment which melted and buggered up the electricals. Or maybe the windchill caused a gnawing animal to crawl into the still warm engine bay and they chewed up some wiring. I am still dubious about electric cars in Winnipeg.

Reply to
William W Western

According to the charts I am obese! If I am not careful I will not fit into the Fiero this summer. The charts do not lie.

Reply to
William W Western

I guess to you it is that simple. LOL

Reply to
Mike hunt

Canuckian Automobile Association, the "cooler" counterpart to AAA down south.

CAA tow truck driver turns key, gets a sullen "rrrrrrrrRRRRRRrrrrr," pulls key out, looks at owner and say, "She's cold, eh. Let's put a heater on 'er. Gotta Molson's, eh?"

Alternate take: "We're NOT gonna crash, eh...this is a BEER truck, eh!"

Reply to
DeserTBoB

I would be the opposite. Conductors have less resistance at cold temperatures. "Gel state" or semi-solid or matted state batteries (BAT-trees up there, eh) are far less affected by cold than were aqueous H2SO4 lead-calcium cells, especially when holding a full charge, Also, like the turbojet engine, the electric motor (especially AC) only has one moving part...the armature, while the piston engine can have thousands, all depending on lubrication and proper clearances.

Besides, if electric traction was so bad in cold weather, why were both CPR and CNR so eager to dieselize their motive power in the

1950s? Reason: Diesel-electric is FAR more reliable in cold weather than was steam...although both roads had some pretty impressive engines in their day, eh.

Coming up soon?

Don't think DC traction motors are the end all/be all, either. US and Canuckian RRs have been on variable frequency AC traction for more than a decade now, obviating the usual arced commutators and wearing brushes, and with greater tractive effort and less weight (no huge pole shoes to add to the heft.) GM and Ford are clueless about the technology, even though GM had been building AC traction locomotives (in Canada, eh...they don't build anything in the US anymore, but that may change) before unloading the whole division on foreign investors last year. AC traction, once adopted will make the current (not a pun) DC traction obsolete overnight, mainly due to copper cost savings and superior power/weight ratios. Of course, first, we have to get Bil Oil to quit blocking electric automotive traction development, as ChevronTexico blatantly is now...with George Bush Bird's blessing, obviously.

Sure sign of $4/gal. gas this summer:

"Ah don' see gas goin' to $4 a gallon anytime soon...." --George Dubya Bush, biggest moron ever to hold the office of president of the US.

Reply to
DeserTBoB

Neither does the Fiero, eh. Time to lay off the brewskis. Molsons LIES about their carbohydrate content, eh! The label says "one belt notch" each, but aye if it isn't really two!

Reply to
DeserTBoB

Now you're talking some stuff I can figure oot, dBob!

Reply to
William W Western

Beauty, eh?!

Reply to