GM head lights

Page 3 of 9

You'd think most people would do that too. Most of my family with cars that have DRLs and no automatic headlights are the ones that drive around at night with just the DRLs lit up. I guess I'm like you and like to be able to make out the stuff on the cluster. Another thing that is really hard to do with automatic lights/DRLs is turn them on and off to show other people that they don't have their lights on.
Safety feature !?!? You drive into a campground late at night with your headlights on full and see how safe you are. tsk, tsk

Just got a second thought. I'll make a special blackout bra for the headlights.

I do not know if you hold an engineering degree or not but you certainly are entitled to your own opinion of DRL's. The discussion, however, was in regard to REQUIRING the use in Pennsylvania of DAYLIGHT Running lights, not headlamps. Title 75, the Pa motor Vehicle Code, currently requires the use of headlamps to see as well as to be seen, "From sunset to sunrise and other hours of limited vision" If one perceives the lighting condition is such that they need to be extraordinary visible during DAYLIGHT, like when driving with the sun at ones back, they can simply activate the vehicles headlamps. A lighting system that does NOT cause confusion, at least that was the conclusion of the Pa legislature when they rejected the required use of DRL's, based on the engineering schools findings.
mike hunt
Tim Dolan wrote:

Niether I, nor anyone I know, has ever been "confused" by DRL's. Maybe it's a PA thing. Unless and until they become the standard, I do believe they should be driver selectable. H
| | Niether I, nor anyone I know, has ever been "confused" by DRL's. Maybe it's | a PA thing. Unless and until they become the standard, I do believe they | should be driver selectable. | H | |
You may want to read up on comments submitted to the NHTSA. Driver confusion over the status of their lights is a fairly significant complaint...nearly all referring to GM model vehicles. The recent addition of the "auto" feature actually seems to have made the issue worse, especially during daytime fog situations when the "auto" system sometimes works and sometimes doesn't and DRLs reflecting in the fog being the only visual queue (too bright to see dash lights) is a combination where a driver simply has no easy way to know if their real lights are on (or not). Adding to that, in fog the lights might cycle on one minute and off a few minutes later and back on yet again later. One MUST use the manual switch and not rely on the "auto" (so-called) system when driving in fog. Many GM owners haven't figured that out. By definition...confusion. You may not even realize you're confused. You may think your lights are on when they're not and you've never realized it.
Hi again, AS the original poster of the question, I like to say that we are getting a bit off track here. I'm not arguing for or against automatic headlights. Let them come on anytime GM wants them to. I as the paying customer I just want to be able to turn them off in a few specific situations. If they come on the next time I start the car fine. What is the problem with that?? Now, can anyone tell me how to turn them off when the specific need arises???

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 13:39:08 GMT, "Tim Dolan"

Simple solution, ready?
1) Snip each DRL headlight power wire about 6" back from the bulb and connect those wires to a "push to open" switch.
2) Route the return line from the "push to open" switch to the relevant wire of your headlight bulb plug. (i.e. the one you snipped).
3) Discreetly mount switch, depress & hold to keep DRL off.
Lights will operate as normal until you depress the button.
This recommendation is for "off road use only" as per liability blah, blah, blah.
Total cost should be no more than $10 & 1 hour max.
Wow !! thanks. Thanks a lot. I'll find that wire opps, those wires and do it. Well, maybe I'll have a friend do it. <VBG>

On some GM vehicles the BCM will set a code with this solution and light the "Check Vehicle Soon" light.
wrote: | > | > >Hi again, | > > AS the original poster of the question, I like to say that | we | > >are getting a bit off track here. I'm not arguing for or against | automatic | > >headlights. | > >Let them come on anytime GM wants them to. I as the paying customer I | just | > >want to be able to turn them off in a few specific situations. If they | come | > >on the next time I start the car fine. | > >What is the problem with that?? | > >Now, can anyone tell me how to turn them off when the specific need | > >arises??? | > | > Simple solution, ready? | > | > 1) Snip each DRL headlight power wire about 6" back from the bulb and | > connect those wires to a "push to open" switch. | > | > 2) Route the return line from the "push to open" switch to the | > relevant wire of your headlight bulb plug. (i.e. the one you snipped). | > | > 3) Discreetly mount switch, depress & hold to keep DRL off. | > | > Lights will operate as normal until you depress the button. | > | > This recommendation is for "off road use only" as per liability blah, | > blah, blah. | > | > Total cost should be no more than $10 & 1 hour max. |
Exactly. The BCM thinks that the headlamps have "failed." On those vehicles, the only real solutions are to reprogram the BCM (not really an option without access to specialized equipment AND specialized documentation) or to replace out the sensor part of the circuit with a fixed value device. The latter solution of I have detailed in a recent posting here.
On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 19:42:17 -0400, "James C. Reeves"

Full_Name wrote:

I don't know if with all GM's the DRL turn off with the parking brake, but if yours does, it would be much easier to install a switch in parallel with the switch on the parking brake. Then you would also have the reminder that they are off since the parking brake warning light in the dash will be lit.
--
Tony

Won't the chime also sound to warn you that the parking brake is engaged?
Mike Levy wrote:

Huh? What? Speak up I can't hear you! ;-) Seriously, I can only attest to my only vehicle with DRL, a 2000 3500 cargo van. In that, there is no chime to warn about the parking brake, only a dash display light.
--
Tony

| Hi again, | AS the original poster of the question, I like to say that we | are getting a bit off track here. I'm not arguing for or against automatic | headlights. | Let them come on anytime GM wants them to. I as the paying customer I just | want to be able to turn them off in a few specific situations. If they come | on the next time I start the car fine. | What is the problem with that?? | Now, can anyone tell me how to turn them off when the specific need | arises???
Read your state vehicle lighting laws. I'd bet that they specifically state that the operator (driver) of the vehicle is the sole entity that is responsible for the operation of the lights. I'd further bet that mention of the the manufacturer (as having any legal role whatsoever in the decision of when lights should be on or not) is totally absent. GM is insinuating themselves in what the law clearly says is *your* decision, NOT theirs. Now, I don't have a problem with "auto" lights...however the operator has a legal right (in my opinion) to decide if they want total control or if *they* want GM to control the lights. The decision is not GM's to make (even though they apparently think it is based on their arrogant design choices to thwart the owners rights in the matter!).
On my girlfriend's 2002 Buick Century, you can turn off the head lamps after they have come on automatically, by manually turning on the head lamp switch, then turning it right back off.
On my 2001 Z28 Camaro, you cannot turn the head lamps off if the car thinks it's dark enough outside. You can of course turn on the lights manually even if it is bright out, but that's not what you are asking for.
On my 1985 Dodge Ram pickup, the lights turn on and off via the manual switch only. This is the way I like best.
On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 13:39:08 GMT, "Tim Dolan"

SgtSilicon wrote:

The Camaro is easily overriden: http://www.xse.com/leres/ss/drl.html
My 01 TA now has manual headlights and no DRL's when I want. (I put a switch in the ashtray)
Ray
Wow!! Thanks for the link. That is great information! At least for F-body owners like me.
Thanks!

| | [SNIP] | | On my 1985 Dodge Ram pickup, the lights turn on and off via the manual | switch only. This is the way I like best. | |
My guess is that that is also the preference of a fairly large number of people. Not sure why GM has yet to get it.
Take a hike. "Safety feature" my rear end. Gee, if it wasn't for my lights coming on automatically, I just don't know what I would driving at night! I might have to use the headlamp switch and uhh, I would uuhhhhh probably never think to do that and then uuuuhhhhh I would run into things in the dark. UuUuuUhhhhhhh.