GM head lights

Page 5 of 9
On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 19:41:56 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

Let me introduce you to my 2001 Impala. If you start the car with the brake on- no lights. . . . but take the brake off and re-apply it at some later time-- you keep your lights.
Jim
wrote: | | >Can't help you there. I'm not familiar with any vehicle that | >applying the parking brake does NOT disengage the DRL's with the | >vehicle running. | | Let me introduce you to my 2001 Impala. If you start the car with | the brake on- no lights. . . . but take the brake off and re-apply | it at some later time-- you keep your lights. |
Same with the Malibu...for the regular lights. I believe the DRL will go out when applying the parking brake though.

I finally remembered to check that today. E-brake doesn't affect the DRLs either. Putting the car in park does make them go out, though. The only way I've discovered to turn the auto-headlights out is to pull on the parking lights. [then if you turn the lights off, your headlights stay off until you restart the car.]
Jim

I know it's a different vehicle, but get this. My 2000 S-10 has low-beam DRLs, the high-beam DRLs on ZR2s didn't comply with some FMVSS code. When I turn my parking lights on during the day, the low beams stay on. It's kinda odd...
Mike Levy wrote:

That sounds normal to me. In my 2000 cargo van the DRL are low beam with something to dim them just a bit, not much dimming at all. Turning on the parking lights doesn't effect the DRL either. I don't see why it would be expected to?
My DRL go out when the parking brakes are applied, no matter what position the shifter is in.
--
Tony

Dunno about DRLs going out when the parking brake is applied, but mine go out when I shift into Park. They also go out when I press the dome override 4 times in 5 seconds. My DRLs are full-power low beams.
Another different vehicle, on my mother's 2000 Regal, if the headlight switch is pulled to the parking light position, the headlights go out, even in conditions that warrant the full headlight system being on.
Mike Levy wrote:

After reading that here, I tried it but it doesn't work on my van. Not that it really matters to me, I don't care if they are on all the time. Well actually the only time it bothers me is after a tractor trailer passes me, it's difficult to blink the lights to let him know it's clear for him to pull over into my lane again. Ok, it also makes it difficult to warn oncoming traffic of an emergency situation ahead. This could be an accident over the other side of a hill, or a cop with radar.

Now that is just plain f*cked up!
--
Tony

-snip-

Both my 95 Taurus [with no DRL] and 2001 Impala flash headlights when I pull on the high-beam switch whether or not the headlights are on.
Jim
wrote: | | -snip- | >After reading that here, I tried it but it doesn't work on my van. Not | >that it really matters to me, I don't care if they are on all the time. | > Well actually the only time it bothers me is after a tractor trailer | >passes me, it's difficult to blink the lights to let him know it's clear | >for him to pull over into my lane again. Ok, it also makes it difficult | >to warn oncoming traffic of an emergency situation ahead. This could be | >an accident over the other side of a hill, or a cop with radar. | -snip- | | Both my 95 Taurus [with no DRL] and 2001 Impala flash headlights when | I pull on the high-beam switch whether or not the headlights are on. | | Jim
Yes, but flashing the highbeams on the Taurus would be much more noticeable since they're going from complete off to complete on. The Impala uses the high beams as DRLs at slightly reduced intensity. So you're not really "flashing" them. The best you can do on the Impala is go from a dimmer light level to a brighter light level...the person you're intending to "signal" a warning will likely miss your signal as a result. One of many reasons why the high beam implementation is the worst of all DRL designs.
James C. Reeves wrote:

Not to mention that the universal signal for telling a tractor trailer that he is clear to pull into your lane is to flash the lights off and on, NOT to go dim-bright or high-low beams. Flashing high beams is more often interpreted as a warning for a dangerous situation, not safety.
--
Tony

Maybe, but it basically gives you full control the light system. I don't drive that vehicle often, but that's my best recollection of the behavior of that system the last time I drove it at night.

I can't imagine what conditions would require the headlights being on, when parked. H
Hairy wrote:

Strange as it seems, not everyone has the vehicle parked while running the parking lights.
But back to the previous post, if conditions warrant full headlights being on, why would you only turn on the parking lights anyway? That sounds like a safety feature, if it's dark enough for the headlights to be on, you don't accidentally drive with only the parking lights and only the DRL on.
--
Tony

Yeah, I know. It's like asking what day of the week Good Friday will fall on this year. It doesn't take a genius to figure out what 'parking' lights are for. The cops around here will cheerfully point out that error with a ticket, since it's illegal to run parking lights on a public roadway. H
Hairy wrote:

Well..... how long are you going to keep me in suspense?
--
Tony

The DRLs on the Regal are the parking lights inboard of the headlights.
| | The DRLs on the Regal are the parking lights inboard of the | headlights.
Not quite. The DRLs on said vehicle (current iteration) are the turn signal filament, not the parking lamp filament...although the parking lamp and turn signals are contained within the same lamp housing (and bulb, for that matter).
James C. Reeves wrote:

Hmm. Learn something new everyday. So these DRLs are only the front turn signal filaments and no other lights? Are these lights behind amber or red lens'? And with the light switch off, the headlights are on low, and turning on the parking lights turns off the headlight DRLs?
Well from what others said about it being illegal to drive with just the parking lights on, I guess it all makes sense in a strange wort of way.
Are the turn signal bulbs at full brightness? If so they must get hot! They are normally only on intermittently. I knew a trucker who insisted on putting brighter bulbs in his running lights. He was always replacing melted light fixtures.
--
Tony

| | Hmm. Learn something new everyday. So these DRLs are only | the front turn signal filaments and no other lights?
On some models, yes. GM has many many different implementations though. Some are high beams at reduced intensity. Some are headlamps at reduced or full intensity. Some are completely separate/dedicated units (on some large trucks/SUVs) and others are the turn signal lamp at "near-continuous" duty at full intensity (they still blink when signaling, then return to being continuously lit after the signaling is completed).
| Are these lights behind amber or red lens'?
Amber lens AND/OR amber coated bulb in those implementations. Red lamps are not allowed on the front of vehicles.
| And with the light switch off,
You're funny. There is no such thing as a "off" position on the light switch on most GM vehicles...The "off" position is replaced by the "Auto" position. Just so you know...you can't turn all lights off on most models today, even in the daytime...even if you want to exercise that legal right to do so...your out of luck.
| the headlights are on low,
If the car has headlight DRLs and you put the switch on "auto" and it's daylight out, then yes. If it has turn signal, high beam or separate DRLs then the headlights themselves are off.
| and turning on the parking lights turns off the headlight | DRLs?
Depends on the implementation. On the Malibu I had (which had headlight-type DRLs) the answer is yes at night and no during the day. But, different GM models with the same type of headlamp DRL behave differently. The problem with the Malibu is that IF you make the mistake and turn on only the "running lights/parking lights" when it is still fairly bright outside (say in daytime fog conditions) the headlamp DRLs are still lit. However if it eventually gets dark enough during your trip to trigger the ambient light sensor (the so-called "auto" light control system)...the headlight bulbs will actually go OFF (on their own)!!! Great desigh...huh!?
| | Well from what others said about it being illegal to drive with just the | parking lights on, I guess it all makes sense in a strange wort of way.
No it doesn't. GM's lighting control systems makes no sense at all! The fact that GM has dozens upon dozens of types and implementations and functional differences between models and model years within the same models speaks volumes upon volumes upon volumes to the fact that even GM is extremely confused about their own light control systems and how they _should_ work. Damn sad, if you ask me! The NHTSA should really crack down on all this oddball lighting stuff...set some standards!!!
| | Are the turn signal bulbs at full brightness?
If they are turn signal DRLs...yes...full brigntness.
| If so they must get hot!
Sure. That's normal and understood.
| They are normally only on intermittently.
Normal is the operative word. By definition then, are you saying GM's system is abnormal? ;-) Not that I disagree. The standard bulb duty cycle is designed for intermittant service, so burn out fairly quickly.
| I knew a trucker who insisted on putting brighter bulbs | in his running lights. He was always replacing melted | light fixtures.
That is only because he was using over-wattage bulbs...the housings weren't designed to dissipate the additional heat.
I've heard that there are problems with burnt and cracked lamp sockets though...not so much problem with melted hosings and lenses. Of course the larger problem really is that the duty cycle of the signal filament within the duel-filamant bulb is designed for intermittant service...so a special long-life version of the bulb should be used if it is a DRL (or just know you'll need to replace your bulbs once or twice a year if using the standard bulb). I believe GM is the only place that the special bulb can be purchased (last I heard). Hmmm....
| | -- | Tony
wrote: | >>| | >>| >Can't help you there. I'm not familiar with any vehicle that | >>| >applying the parking brake does NOT disengage the DRL's with the | >>| >vehicle running. | >>| | >>| Let me introduce you to my 2001 Impala. If you start the car with | >>| the brake on- no lights. . . . but take the brake off and re-apply | >>| it at some later time-- you keep your lights. | >>| | >> | >>Same with the Malibu...for the regular lights. I believe the DRL will go out | >>when applying the parking brake though. | >> | > | >I finally remembered to check that today. E-brake doesn't affect | >the DRLs either. Putting the car in park does make them go out, | >though. The only way I've discovered to turn the auto-headlights | >out is to pull on the parking lights. [then if you turn the lights | >off, your headlights stay off until you restart the car.] | > | >Jim | | I know it's a different vehicle, but get this. My 2000 S-10 has | low-beam DRLs, the high-beam DRLs on ZR2s didn't comply with some | FMVSS code. When I turn my parking lights on during the day, the low | beams stay on. It's kinda odd... |
GM has many different DRL implementations and seemingly as many different ways they are controlled and function. One would think that they would have built a common DRL control platform. I guess not.