GM head lights

Page 8 of 9
wrote:

Glad you're still around to talk about it, even if we didn't see brake issues the same way.
Try it you will find your ABS works fine
Eugene wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

Oh crap, that high didn't last long. So is there an easy way to temporarily disable the ABS? I'd love to have a panic button on the steering wheel for when I want to stop in situations where ABS makes stopping more difficult.
--
Tony

> Eugene wrote:
wrote: | > Try it you will find your ABS works fine | | Oh crap, that high didn't last long. So is there an easy way to | temporarily disable the ABS? I'd love to have a panic button on the | steering wheel for when I want to stop in situations where ABS makes | stopping more difficult. |
Why did you buy a vehicle with ABS if they don't work for you? Many vehicles and be purchased without ABS still. In fact, more models now than several years ago. It seems you're not alone on not wanting ABS.
James C. Reeves wrote:

My S10 wasn't available without ABS, are the full size trucks available without it?
wrote: | > | > Try it you will find your ABS works fine | > | | > | Oh crap, that high didn't last long. So is there an easy way to | > | temporarily disable the ABS? I'd love to have a panic button on the | > | steering wheel for when I want to stop in situations where ABS makes | > | stopping more difficult. | > | | > | > Why did you buy a vehicle with ABS if they don't work for you? Many | > vehicles | > and be purchased without ABS still. In fact, more models now than several | > years ago. It seems you're not alone on not wanting ABS. | My S10 wasn't available without ABS, are the full size trucks available | without it? |
Not sure about the full size GM trucks. After owning 3 vehicles with ABS, the last 2 I've purchased were without ABS and I personally have much more control without it. But then I learned to drive 30+ years ago...I simply cannot "stomp" the brakes on wet/snow/ice surfaces...it's against my "training". So my trying to feel in control of the braking causes ABS systems to function very badly and doesn't give me the needed feedback for me to brake properly.
James C. Reeves wrote:

Exactly the same problem I've run into, problem I found is I couldn't buy an S10 without ABS and can't really fit a full size truck in the places I need to go so I had to get ABS. So thats why I had to buy a vehicle with ABS.
wrote: | > | > | > Try it you will find your ABS works fine | > | > | | > | > | Oh crap, that high didn't last long. So is there an easy way to | > | > | temporarily disable the ABS? I'd love to have a panic button on the | > | > | steering wheel for when I want to stop in situations where ABS makes | > | > | stopping more difficult. | > | > | | > | > | > | > Why did you buy a vehicle with ABS if they don't work for you? Many | > | > vehicles | > | > and be purchased without ABS still. In fact, more models now than | > | > several | > | > years ago. It seems you're not alone on not wanting ABS. | > | My S10 wasn't available without ABS, are the full size trucks available | > | without it? | > | | > | > Not sure about the full size GM trucks. After owning 3 vehicles with ABS, | > the last 2 I've purchased were without ABS and I personally have much more | > control | > without it. But then I learned to drive 30+ years ago...I simply cannot | > "stomp" the brakes on wet/snow/ice surfaces...it's against my "training". | > So my trying to feel in control of the braking causes ABS systems to | > function very badly and doesn't give me the needed feedback for me to | > brake properly. | Exactly the same problem I've run into, problem I found is I couldn't buy an | S10 without ABS and can't really fit a full size truck in the places I need | to go so I had to get ABS. So thats why I had to buy a vehicle with ABS. |
Interesting. I thought GM was starting to make "base" models of most of their lines without ABS. Perhaps that isn't correct. I know the 2003 base Malibu came without ABS (the earlier years base Malibu came with ABS). I know most Chryslers now come without standard ABS in response to customer request (something GM is a little slower to react to than their competitors, in my view).
James C. Reeves wrote:

My wife's Impala base model came without it, but unfortunatly the S10 is was standard no matter what. So it was a tradeoff, I had to take ABS to get a rear wheel drive non unibody vehicle.
On my newest vehicles ABS is standard equipment. It should have a disable switch, like traction control, in my opinion. I understand ABS will be a delete option on the 2005 Mustang GT. Some luxury sport cars do have a switch to disable the ABS. You can install one as well, I suppose, to interrupt the system.
mike hunt
"James C. Reeves" wrote:

James C. Reeves wrote:

First of all, I figured with the new technology, ABS would improve. I found out that it hadn't. Second, the work van was a left over (a 2000 bought in march of 2001) and I got it for about $4500 under the sticker price. Then using my GM card credit I built up, they deducted another $2300. Oh, and also they gave me parts bins and a divider between the cargo area and the driver that retails for well over $1000, but if you prove to them you own a business, you get it for free! So with the final price being about $7800 under the sticker price (around $25000 I think?), I thought I'd give them a chance again.
Now I may try disconnecting both of the sensors and see what happens. It just may be worth the money anyway!
--
Tony

Tony Miklos wrote:

Hi...
None of my business - but given that you're in the USA (I think) where everyone sues everyone for so much as blinking out of sequence - aren't you putting yourself at a terrible risk?
I'm suspecting that if you should ever be evenly remotely involved in a serious accident, and it's discovered that you've "modified" your brakes... ?? :(
Ken
Ken Weitzel wrote:

You may be correct. (without a doubt correct about the law suits) I sure hope there will never be a "bad plug connection" that I wasn't aware of that could keep the ABS from working.
--
Tony

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 22:21:28 -0400, "80 Knight"

This does NOT work on my S-10. If the auto headlights activate due to darkness, they don't go off until it's light again or until the truck is shut off.
I DO however, turn my full running lights on if conditions are such that the auto headlights will turn on and off, or if I have to run my wipers (NY law on that one).

off
park...Just
I figured there would be a difference, as I am speaking of cars, and you of trucks, but as I said, it was just a thought. :)
--
80Knight
--1991 Pontiac Bonneville SSE Sedan
"James C. Reeves" wrote:

On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 19:11:47 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

And to think that some people think we don't have the resources to fight terrorists or crime.
Luckily we don't need law enforcement officers reviewing the Heinz - Kerry taxes or the Bush family's drug habits, otherwise some might think what you are describing as a flagrant waste of tax dollars.
Sorry all, I was going to stay out of this thread but it looks like it refuses to die, so..............
The purpose of highly visible enforcement is not to raise money but to make it obvious to other drivers that the law requiring the use of headlamps in a construction area is necessary for the safety of the workers and that it will be informed. Anyway what is so hard about illuminating ones headlamps when you see sign with a flashing light warning you to do so?
mike hunt