GM Headrests

Hi all,
I have a 1984 Chevrolet Caprice stationwagon with a headrest problem. They will come up about 2 inches but no further. I can find no release or
adjustment device, however I would like to raise them higher than 2 inches. Is 2 inches the limit or am I just missing something.
Thanks for your help.
Brett
Bonar Bain wrote:

Many headrests, and not just GM, don't come out. You will have to remove the seat back, the fabric and padding, and cut the stops off with a sawzall.
The headrests can be removed by inserting a thin flexible strip down between the front of the head rest shaft and the slot it is in. This will release the spring clip that prevents the head rest from pulling completely out of the seat. It takes a little fidgeting the first time you do one but after that takes only a few seconds. Raise the head rest and poke the tool down as far as it will go. Then push both the head rest and the tool back down into the seat. While holding the tool down lift the head rest out. There is no nead to destroy the seat to do the job.
The tool is similar to a slim jim used to unlock car doors. I have used a hacksaw blade with the teeth ground off it with equal success.
-- Mike.................................................... "Opportunities are spawned from crisis"
Bonar Bain wrote:

Many headrests, and not just GM, don't come out. You will have to remove the seat back, the fabric and padding, and cut the stops off with a sawzall.
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

Thanks for the great info. I never knew that one.