GM Intake Manifold Gasket Problems

Threaded View

I'm considering the purchase of a low mileage 2003 Buick LeSabre and was
wondering if this model year was subject to the infamous intake manifold
gasket failure I've heard so much about. The vehicle has the 3.8L V6 engine.
Also, I understand that there were some issues with coolant leaking into the
EGR stovepipe as well. Have these problems been solved or is the 2003 at
risk as well? Appreciate any input you can provide. Thanks.

Re: GM Intake Manifold Gasket Problems

Nope same issue with the plastic upper intake/egr passage weakness.I have a
2003 Lesabre so far great car, suspension stock is very soft though.

-

Re: GM Intake Manifold Gasket Problems

The issue with the EGR pipe melting the upper plenum was fixed
by this year.  There are still issues with the upper plenum gasket
leaking, but frankly we hardly see any problems with them.  Certainly
not to the extent that we saw problems with pre 2002 vehicles.

There is a campaign that could apply to your vehicle. Camp #03034
basically replaces three throttle body nuts with updated ones and
adds some coolant sealer to the cooling system.  You can either
give me the VIN (last 8 of the vin) and I can check, or you can
have a dealership run your vin.

Ian

Re: GM Intake Manifold Gasket Problems

Hey Ian - is that coolant sealer compatible with the green stuff?  I've
heard that the sealer is good stuff, and recommeded after gasket
replacement.

--

-Mike-
mmarlowREMOVE@alltel.net

Re: GM Intake Manifold Gasket Problems

Yes, it works with the green coolant.  It's as good
as anything out there.  I've used it occasionally on
my old beaters, keeps small leaks at the radiator
at bay.

Ian

Re: GM Intake Manifold Gasket Problems

Ian,

Does this coolant sealer have a name or part number?  I have a '99
Blazer that has had a coolant leak smell for about 4 years.  There are
no drips on my driveway or garage, so the problem may just be seepage
(evaporating before falling to ground).

The heater core and radiator appear fine, and there is no coolant in
the oil.  Last year I added a fluorescent dye to the mix in an attempt
to find the leak, but was still not able to pinpoint the problem
(you'd be surprised what shows up under black light).  I suppose the
thing to do is have the system pressure tested.....

Richard

Re: GM Intake Manifold Gasket Problems

It does have a part number, but I can't locate the number at the
moment.  And of course, I forget to look when I'm at work.
You can call any GM dealership (Cadillac) and ask them.

Ian

Re: GM Intake Manifold Gasket Problems

Part Number for Sealer Tablets is   3634621

Don't remember how many are in the package, but GM does recommend 2
tablets on a drain/fill.

Regards,
  Bill Bowen
  Sacramento, CA