GM Intake Manifold Gasket Problems

I'm considering the purchase of a low mileage 2003 Buick LeSabre and was wondering if this model year was subject to the infamous intake manifold gasket failure I've heard so much about. The vehicle has the 3.8L V6 engine. Also, I understand that there were some issues with coolant leaking into the EGR stovepipe as well. Have these problems been solved or is the 2003 at risk as well? Appreciate any input you can provide. Thanks.

Reply to
Don R

Nope same issue with the plastic upper intake/egr passage weakness.I have a

Reply to
Shep

The issue with the EGR pipe melting the upper plenum was fixed by this year. There are still issues with the upper plenum gasket leaking, but frankly we hardly see any problems with them. Certainly not to the extent that we saw problems with pre 2002 vehicles.

There is a campaign that could apply to your vehicle. Camp #03034 basically replaces three throttle body nuts with updated ones and adds some coolant sealer to the cooling system. You can either give me the VIN (last 8 of the vin) and I can check, or you can have a dealership run your vin.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Hey Ian - is that coolant sealer compatible with the green stuff? I've heard that the sealer is good stuff, and recommeded after gasket replacement.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Yes

Reply to
Peter Proud

Yes, it works with the green coolant. It's as good as anything out there. I've used it occasionally on my old beaters, keeps small leaks at the radiator at bay.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Ian,

Does this coolant sealer have a name or part number? I have a '99 Blazer that has had a coolant leak smell for about 4 years. There are no drips on my driveway or garage, so the problem may just be seepage (evaporating before falling to ground).

The heater core and radiator appear fine, and there is no coolant in the oil. Last year I added a fluorescent dye to the mix in an attempt to find the leak, but was still not able to pinpoint the problem (you'd be surprised what shows up under black light). I suppose the thing to do is have the system pressure tested.....

Richard

Reply to
NotDeadYet

It does have a part number, but I can't locate the number at the moment. And of course, I forget to look when I'm at work. You can call any GM dealership (Cadillac) and ask them.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Part Number for Sealer Tablets is 3634621

Don't remember how many are in the package, but GM does recommend 2 tablets on a drain/fill.

Regards, Bill Bowen Sacramento, CA

Reply to
William H. Bowen