GM joins Ford in jettisoning the minivan market

Page 5 of 8

I'm sorry, but the Impala is a great car. And, like I said, the Officers down here (Ontario, Canada) love them. We have more of them then we do Crown Vic's.
That may be your opinion but when I owned my formed fleet business numerous departments particularly city departments, bought the Chevy and Dodge FWD cars because they were available for a few thousands less than the Interceptor and got better fuel mileage Service experience soon shows the maintenance and repair cost vis a v the Interceder far outweigh the lower purchase price and when they bought more cars they returned to the Ford. Ford 'owns' the police car business, by at least eight to one at well over 100,000 units, over the current Doge RWD cars and the Chevy.. That surely slows which car department prefer.
mike

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 13:46:40 -0500, Mike Hunter got out the hammer and chisel and etched in the wall:

What "may be your opinion?" Please don't top post.
--
kai
I'll try to remember next time officer ;)

That may be your opinion, Mike. I know what we use here, and its mostly Impala's.

80 Knight wrote:

Could be that they haven't completely switched over yet. Takes awhile for the true cost to be realized.
Same at work, they thought they'd be saving bundles with the ford ranger instead of the f150s... wrong... 3 transmissions in 7 trucks died before 100,000 KMS, 1 just over 200,000. Two motors before 100, and one at 250,000 KMS.

We do also use Crown Vic's, but like I said, most of our cars are Impala's, and have been for many years. We used to use the old 80's style Caprice's back in the day. I guess it helps that we make the Impala's here as well. :-P
Regardless of which brand is used in your area, what I posted is fact not opinion. ;)
mike

80 Knight wrote:

The Impala has a niche. University and public school district police departments are what use them around here.
When the Ford Interceptor gets de-throned, it will be by a rear-drive car. The Charger is the best bet to do the de-throning right now, but a lot of PDs are very entrenched and slow to change. Hell, that's the same reason they were still buying M-body Mopar copcars back in the 80s- because they'd always bought Mopar in the past. It sure wasn't the blistering performance of an 8:1 compression 318 and 2.45 rear-end ratio!
No it was the $2,500 lower purchase price LOL
mike

Mike Hunter wrote:

Well, that and the fact that you couldn't wear them out with sand in the oil and driving 80 mph on railroad tracks. Damn those things were un-killable!

Is the dodge a v8? Dodge has just never made a real quality product... i do like the looks of the new magnums... but are they built well?
Mike Hunter wrote:

You misspelled a word. Its not n-e-v-e-r, its spelled a-l-w-a-y-s.
GM and Ford were smart to get out of the minivan business, at this point.
1. Why waists capitol in a declining market, with an ever increasing number of competitors? 2. Chrysler dominates the market at around 48% of the sales, with six others to share the balance 3. After 20 years of trying, the Japs are finally offering vans that can compete with what you offer. 4. The competition can built their van for around 1/3 less than you can.
Good more GM and Ford, concentrate your capitol on the fast growing COV and AWD market instead.
mike

Unfortunately GM & Ford are already showing weakness in those markets.
Duh what Jap maker offers an AWD mid size sedan?
mike

I guess that's Subaru, right? Is that what you mean?

And in the US they sell how many in a year? ;)
mike

Maybe so. I may be wrong but I perceive that as market segment of very finicky customers. It may be one of those markets where they spend a $billion on a new product, and the market just says it's mediocre. Mediocrity is the heart of what's driving them into bankruptcy.
In fact I think we're already there with the "Edge". It's an all-out development effort, but reviews in the press are mixed. It looks good, but it weighs 5000 lb, and it only seats 5. There's nothing really great about the performance or the gas mileage. Just middle-of-the-road all the way. It looks a lot better than a Pacifica, but maybe not so good as the Murano, depending on your taste.
How about the Compass? It's cheaper, but awfully ugly. The Compass is going to be the new Aztek, I'm afraid. Recent Autoweek test had all kinds of breakdowns. It's bad when you develop products that are ugly right out of the box.
I guess this new Buick Enclave thing is the GM's big all-out crossover effort. Their current crossovers are kind of forgettable to me. I know they had the Ranier/Aztek for a while. Now they have that Pontiac Torrent instead and whatever it is at other divisions. These were all okay (ignoring the Aztek's styling). I guess you could say mediocre.
If I felt as you do about any of the vehicles you mentioned, I would not buy one of those, if I were you. ;)
mike