GM joins Ford in jettisoning the minivan market

Page 7 of 8

GM does. Projections are that Toyota will outsell Ford in the US next year (and GM worldwide).
It was not to long ago those 'in the know' were predicting Ford would 'soon outsell GM in the US,' as well ;)
(I deleted your address line. No to smart of to put all of that information out in a NG.)
mike

This post brought to you by Mike's new book" Condescension: how to make friends and influence people by coming off like a know-it-all."
I think Joe knows what he's doing. Nothing available there that's not available elsewhere, and besides he's been posting here for *years*.

I seem to remember those as maybe pie-in-the-sky projections for years down the line. I'm talking about projections for *next* *year*.

Any specific reason not to, or just sort of a general paranoia?
When you begin to get dozens of calls at 5 PM from telemarketers and all of the paper in your FAX machine is printed out with spam at 2 AM you may feel differently, unless of course it is not YOUR paper ;)
mike
writes:

So... so it's sort of a lack of understanding of the differences between email spam and telemarketing. Nothing to worry about.

What differences?
I guess he never had his FAX spammed. ;)
mike

The economics are completely different. Sending email spam, especially using botnets, is essentially free. Last I saw, estimates were that the response rate on email spam was down around one in 100,000 -- but the cost of sending the message is so low they're still making a profit. At those rates, harvesting my email address from usenet is worth it to them; unfortunately, my email address was in so many different places long before there was spam that ceasing to use it on usenet wouldn't make any difference at this point. I don't use my personal email address on usenet!
A telemarketing call or fax spam costs infinitely more -- up in the pennies range. For random telemarketers to call my office to make pitches on the basis of harvesting the phone number from usenet would be insane; likewise to send spam to the department's fax machine on that basis.
Perhaps, but in the real world they still do so automatically at 3 AM . ;)
mike

For pete's sake, why are you still cross-posting about this? Nobody cares! Shut up!

If you were paying attention I explained the 'why' about 12 posts ago, prior to all the pointless back-and-forth in this thread...
Never mud-wrestle with a pig. It doesn't accomplish anything, and after a while you realize that the pig is enjoying it.
If you want to keep up with him, that's your business.
--<< Bruce >>--
Perhaps your ire should be directed to the person that cross posted the post to which I replied. ;)
mike

As usual you do not know what you are talking about. Do a search and you will discover PTD.net is division of SECTV the oldest cable company in the WORLD, established in 1948. It is an all carbon fiber network, based in Allentown Pa, that I can connect to via satellite from wherever I am at the time. Do you want to see some picture from the 2006 Key West Fantasy Fest? LOL

Jeff wrote:

With very little success. Chevy's market share in those segments is minimal compared to the venerable Ford Crown Victoria.
John Horner wrote:

Based on what? Here in VA, most state trooper cars are Impalas.
Bill Putney wrote:

Have a look here:
http://www.businessweek.com/autos/content/oct2006/bw20061016_314763.htm?chan=autos_autos+index+page_news
Most published reports put Ford's share of the US police patrol car market somewhere between 80% and 90%. That doesn't leave much for Chevy and Dodge!
On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 20:23:13 +0000, John Horner got out the hammer and chisel and etched in the wall:

http://www.businessweek.com/autos/content/oct2006/bw20061016_314763.htm?chan=autos_autos+index+page_news
Yeah, I work in a building next to two Sheriff stations. We share the same parking lots. I see a ton of Crown Vics outside and no Impalas. Since the Feds moved in there are a few black Suburbans, too.
Only one Avalanche though. And I get to drive it home. :P
--
kai
Just Facts wrote:

Another one bites the dust.....
Pretty soon you'll only be able to buy a crown victoria, f150 and maybe a fusion.
Tell me, is this just in my area of residence or does this happen all over.
The Honda, Toyota, Nissan dealers don't stock many vehicles, now i'm sure they also sell less, so maybe this is relative.
Does FORD do anything to control inventory... every ford lot i've been to is full of vehicles.... many options and colors etc, of all vehicles, even had 10 mustangs at one of the two ford dealers in a city of 45,000 ppl. You head over to the other dealer, they had 6. The toyota dealer had only 1 Tundra and no tacomas. Is this because they don't sell any trucks, probably not.
You don't see toyota, honda, nissan advertising year end clearance sales... ford does this almost steadily for about 4 months.
Just wondering if there is any inventory control, i am in the lumber market, and controlling inventory is the FIRST priority, especially in a failing market.
Picasso wrote:

They hide their overstocks and recall better. Remember, Japanese car companies are all about image, not about substance anyway (yeah, maybe a bit overly cynical, but that's the way I see it for the most part). If they convey an image of quality and never a hint of a recall or overstock, dummies will still flock to buy them. A co worker just picked up a new T*yota Tundra v8 because, as he said, "they were GIVING the things away!" Far cheaper than he could get a Dodge Dakota. All is not as well as it seems at Toy, either.