GM might kill off Pontiac or Buick

Page 1 of 2
DETROIT (Reuters) - General Motors Corp., which issued a shock profit warning last week and has been losing market share, may phase out one of its weaker car brands if sales fail to meet projections, company Vice Chairman
Bob Lutz said on Wednesday.
GM's Buick and Pontiac are both "damaged brands" due to lack of investment over the years, and GM is working to correct that with an array of new vehicles coming to market, Lutz told a Morgan Stanley automotive conference in New York.
http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/ns/news/story.jsp?id 05032315440002961051&dt 050323154400&w=RTR&coview

bye buick.

Really? I think it'll be Pontiac on the chopping block first.

Then again maybe they will get rid of both of them, there really isnt anything that Pontiac has that Chevy doesnt, Except maybe the G6, but that could easily be changed to something else, The Firebird is already gone, the Grand Prix can get swept up into the Impala, the Sunfire is gonna go away pretty soon anyways since the Cavalier is finished as well.
Actually maybe the G6 could be made into a base model Cadillac car.

I wouldn't mind a Vauxhaull VX220 Roadster or Vauxhall Astra 2.0 SRI Turbo as a fun "grocery getter". Leave the store with eggs, arrive home with an omelet. :)
Though I wouldn't want to be hit by a vehicle if I was driving one of them.

I think if they got rid of Pontiac that there isn't really anything that they have any more that people would miss. You're right though because all their cars are identical to other ones.

Saying that sort of thing in public is pretty dumb unless the decision has already been made. People at Lutz's level or not supposed to speculate out loud in public.
If I were running GM I would move aggressively to eliminate:
GMC .... why have a second line of Chevy trucks? Pontiac .... the same buyers would buy Chevys Buick .... move the low end of the line to Chevy and the upper end into the low end Cadillacs Saturn ... nice idea, but has lost money forever and it's current lineup is not competitive. Give all the current Saturn dealers their choice of a Chevy or Cadillac franchise. Isuzu ... almost dead anyway
Keep:
Chevrolet ... offer good cars and trucks across the marketplace at value pricing. Basically be another Toyota. Aggressively use Korean base (GM-Daewoo) to compete on price and quality across the board.
Cadillac ... near luxury and up vehicles
Saab ... European import lineup
Subaru ... Japanese and Korean imports
John
Certainly not good news to hear. One can only wonder what brands we will have ten years from now.
Certainly not good news to hear. One can only wonder what brands we will have ten years from now.
Toyota Motor Corp.
Phillip Schmid wrote:

Make that Pontiac. Buick is their bread and butter upper middle class line, and Chevy their trucks. Pontiac kind of is a 1-2 vehicle show. No big loss.
An optimal restructuring would be:
Cadillac - largely unchanged. Buick - Remains as is, though it drops the largest SUVs. All SUVs and vans are now GMC. All GMC SUVs get the same trim options as the Buicks(ie - nameplate change only and/or upgraded trim) Chevrolet is completely trucks, plus the Corvette and GTO as exceptions. All economy cars are put off into a fifth brand. Since they all are mostly Daewoos to begin with, I suggest maybe bringing back the Geo brand.
This would get rid of dozens of overlapping vehicles.

A Chevy GTO? I don't think so!
James C. Reeves wrote:

So call it a Pontiac GTO, though it'll be the only "Pontiac" in their entire lineup.
On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 05:42:19 GMT, Joseph Oberlander

email name wrote:

My whitelist spam filter works fine. Blacklist types are doomed to fail, but I get maybe one a month in my inbox that isn't legitimate with a setup like this.
No need to fake my email address. Isn't technology great?

A real GTO would be a 450ci or so V8 with about 600hp. It would purposely be way WAY more car than most people can handle, kind of like how the Viper is.
Instead we get the current "GTO". Sigh.

First GTO was a Tempest with a 389 in it. No show, all go. Today's is the same, plain Jane car with a healthy motor in it. First glance it looks like a Cavalier, a non threatening car, step on the gas and it's a weapon. Seats 4 and goes like hell, that's the GTO tradition. I miss my '68
--
John

GTO. No wonder GM is hurting, they cant even come up with a body style designed on American soil. What does that do for consumer confidence?
Repairman wrote:

Note, I didn't say about the looks. :) It could be a Buick Regal type car looks-wise for all we care - it just needs to go like stink and have RWD.
Phillip Schmid wrote:

> snip
>>> Seems to me, GM should phase out all brands, and simply call the cars GM Days of four different 350 engines are over. Inter - Corperating would trim fat, lower cost, and speed fresh designs.
My opinion anyway. I'd like to see * at least * a GM engine with GM on the valve cover [ s ]