GM needs a new word

The first word that pops into people's minds when you say......

Chrysler - HEMI Ford - MUSTANG GM - BORING

GM needs a new word.

David Starr

You forgot about the Corvette! There must be a lot of buyers that prefer boring. GM still sells far more vehicles than any other manufacture in the world. ;)

mike hunt

David Starr wrote:

Reply to
BrickMason

The word should be QUALITY, and not just the word, but a way of thinking, and doing business.

I think it is asking too much.

Chuck in Phoenix

Reply to
Chuck

And what percent of all GM sales does the Corvette contribute? if Chevy leans on the Corvette as its crutch of quality, then they better stop fooling themselves, either spin it off as its own brand like Austin Martin, or something.

Reply to
Paradox

GM has won some quality awards of late, especially the Buick division. However, the awards didn't translate to sales. So there is something other than quality needed it seems.

The first words that pop into my mind with GM are "Glaring Lights In Your Face" (but I'm sure everyone her already knew that)

I still say many potential customers out there see GM cars as torture machines. Shining lights in people's eyes has long been a very effective form of torture for decades. And GM is top dog at shining lights in people's eyes all day long and everyone knows it. People don't like it...I'm telling ya! But don't believe me. Just look up the public comments on daytime lights at NHTSA. IF GM wants people to notice their cars...kill the lights so they can actually see the car! Most of the cars are actually quite nice (I think!)

Reply to
James C. Reeves

JCR,

I'm going to make up some headlight sheilds to block out the headlight & DRL's for driving through the campgrounds at night..the parking lights will suffice for that.

Harryface

05 Park Avenue 91 Bonneville LE, 303,149 miles
Reply to
Harry Face

There is more than a little irony in your "first word" scenario, as pertains to "Chrysler -HEMI". If I may quote Automobile Magazine's Technical Editor Don Sherman (Oct. 2004) :

"The engine Chrysler touts as its "Hemi" definitely does not have hemispherically shaped combustion chambers. While Chrysler engineers commenced development with a hemi chamber inspired by the air-cooled Porsche

911 engine built from 1964 through 1997, they saved very little from that concept. The chamber depth was vastly reduced, and filler lumps were added between the valves. The only "hemi" feature saved was splayed valves located in a plane perpendicular to (instead of parallel with) the crankshaft."

So while Hemi may be top-of-mind when we hear the word Chrysler, the reality is much different. When Chrysler actually had a hemi, the term HEMI had always referred to its hemispherical combustion chambers. Their 5.7 liter engine doesn't have hemispherical combustion chambers. Should we consider that great marketing . . . orrrr deceptive sales tactic? Or just a shameful sales tactic? Perhaps an out-and-out lie? Keep that in mind when you hear the word Chrysler. Maybe "BORING" is the lesser of two evils! ;-)

Reply to
StingRay

The Chrysler - HEMI Ford - MUSTANG GM - BORING analogy was your not mine. I merely pint out you forgot Corvette. do you believe Ford and Chrysler should spin off the Mustang and the Hemi as well. ;)

mike hunt

Paradox wrote:

Reply to
BrickMason

Many buyers apparently agree with your assessment. Have you forgotten that GM sells far more vehicles than any other manufacture in the world?

mike hunt

"James C. Reeves" wrote:

Reply to
BrickMason

The Hemi of today is a concept that Chrysler has grabed onto. Better handling RWD vehicles that are capable of applying the torque from a high powered engine, that still offers decent fuel economy at 25 MPG. GM is missing the boat in that regard. Both the Mustang and the 300 are selling much better than expected because they are offering a large segment of the market the cars they really want to drive.

mike hunt

Reply to
BrickMason

You may find some other ideas at some of the astrology observer web sites. They have the same exact problem with GM vehicles when attending astrology camps that require participants to enter with lights off (impossible with most GM vehicles).

Reply to
James C. Reeves

I almost did forget once. But haven't since. ;-)

Reply to
James C. Reeves

When marketing departments get in the mix, facts fly out of the window. Although one can't argue with sales success I suppose. But the 300 and Magnum are BUTT UGLY as far as I'm concerned, so I don't get what all the hoopla is about. Unless it's strictly the raw power of 335HP (with a 400+HP version coming soon) and the 0-60 times of ~5-seconds in a sedan! Heck, the GTO would be a better choice, in my opinion, now that it has it's hood scoops! ;-)

Reply to
James C. Reeves

James, we're agreed on this one. The 300 and the Magnum are amongst the ugliest cars since the Gremlin! Methinks the misnomer "Hemi" may have more to do with the sales of these 2 products than their design. Sad really.

Reply to
StingRay

I've never heard of an "astrology" camp. Sounds like a bunch of weirdo's to me. H

Reply to
Hairy

If they can't be turned off as my new ones can, can't all be disabled by pressing the brake pedal one notch?

Reply to
Rich256

DRL's on a Park Ave are not effected by pressing the parking brake.

Harryface

05 Park Avenue 91 Bonneville LE, 303,149 miles
Reply to
Harry Face

When I think of GM I think; Dexcool, Intake Manifold Leaks, Piston Slap and Legacy Costs

I own a 2001 Mali-Boo 51,000 miles w/ new Intake Manifold Gasket ($800),

3.1L V6 Pi$ton $lap; Major repairs contribute to Legacy GM costs.

Don't take this the wrong way, I just spent $3000 on a Chrysler Remanufactured Trans (A604). I used to think Chrysler="Best looking junk around", now I just think German and junk Transmissions.

I may break my lifelong Buy American trend and look at a Toyota.

Reply to
Duane

That is what I did. Wife got a new Sienna, I got a new Tundra, my daughter got a used Camry. So far I'm very happy with our Toyotas.

Ex GM driver

Chuck in Phoenix

Reply to
Chuck

Wasn't my analogy....

The Vette is totally different then any other GM vehicle, there is such a huge gap between it and the rest that it may as well be its own product line.

At least they had the Camaro in there as a buffer.

Reply to
Paradox