GM needs a new word

Page 1 of 2
The first word that pops into people's minds when you say......
Chrysler - HEMI Ford - MUSTANG GM - BORING
GM needs a new word.
Retired Shop Rat: 14,647 days in a GM plant. Now I can do what I enjoy: Large Format Photography www.destarr.com - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
You forgot about the Corvette! There must be a lot of buyers that prefer boring. GM still sells far more vehicles than any other manufacture in the world. ;)
mike hunt
David Starr wrote:

And what percent of all GM sales does the Corvette contribute? if Chevy leans on the Corvette as its crutch of quality, then they better stop fooling themselves, either spin it off as its own brand like Austin Martin, or something.

The Chrysler - HEMI Ford - MUSTANG GM - BORING analogy was your not mine. I merely pint out you forgot Corvette. do you believe Ford and Chrysler should spin off the Mustang and the Hemi as well. ;)
mike hunt
Paradox wrote:

The word should be QUALITY, and not just the word, but a way of thinking, and doing business.
I think it is asking too much.
Chuck in Phoenix

GM has won some quality awards of late, especially the Buick division. However, the awards didn't translate to sales. So there is something other than quality needed it seems.
The first words that pop into my mind with GM are "Glaring Lights In Your Face" (but I'm sure everyone her already knew that) <grin>
I still say many potential customers out there see GM cars as torture machines. Shining lights in people's eyes has long been a very effective form of torture for decades. And GM is top dog at shining lights in people's eyes all day long and everyone knows it. People don't like it...I'm telling ya! But don't believe me. Just look up the public comments on daytime lights at NHTSA. IF GM wants people to notice their cars...kill the lights so they can actually see the car! Most of the cars are actually quite nice (I think!)

JCR,
I'm going to make up some headlight sheilds to block out the headlight & DRL's for driving through the campgrounds at night..the parking lights will suffice for that.
Harryface 05 Park Avenue 91 Bonneville LE, 303,149 miles

You may find some other ideas at some of the astrology observer web sites. They have the same exact problem with GM vehicles when attending astrology camps that require participants to enter with lights off (impossible with most GM vehicles).

I've never heard of an "astrology" camp. Sounds like a bunch of weirdo's to me. H

pressing the brake pedal one notch?
DRL's on a Park Ave are not effected by pressing the parking brake.
Harryface 05 Park Avenue 91 Bonneville LE, 303,149 miles
Many buyers apparently agree with your assessment. Have you forgotten that GM sells far more vehicles than any other manufacture in the world?
mike hunt
"James C. Reeves" wrote:

I almost did forget once. But haven't since. ;-)

There is more than a little irony in your "first word" scenario, as pertains to "Chrysler -HEMI". If I may quote Automobile Magazine's Technical Editor Don Sherman (Oct. 2004) :
"The engine Chrysler touts as its "Hemi" definitely does not have hemispherically shaped combustion chambers. While Chrysler engineers commenced development with a hemi chamber inspired by the air-cooled Porsche 911 engine built from 1964 through 1997, they saved very little from that concept. The chamber depth was vastly reduced, and filler lumps were added between the valves. The only "hemi" feature saved was splayed valves located in a plane perpendicular to (instead of parallel with) the crankshaft."
So while Hemi may be top-of-mind when we hear the word Chrysler, the reality is much different. When Chrysler actually had a hemi, the term HEMI had always referred to its hemispherical combustion chambers. Their 5.7 liter engine doesn't have hemispherical combustion chambers. Should we consider that great marketing . . . orrrr deceptive sales tactic? Or just a shameful sales tactic? Perhaps an out-and-out lie? Keep that in mind when you hear the word Chrysler. Maybe "BORING" is the lesser of two evils! ;-)
The Hemi of today is a concept that Chrysler has grabed onto. Better handling RWD vehicles that are capable of applying the torque from a high powered engine, that still offers decent fuel economy at 25 MPG. GM is missing the boat in that regard. Both the Mustang and the 300 are selling much better than expected because they are offering a large segment of the market the cars they really want to drive.
mike hunt
StingRay wrote:

When marketing departments get in the mix, facts fly out of the window. Although one can't argue with sales success I suppose. But the 300 and Magnum are BUTT UGLY as far as I'm concerned, so I don't get what all the hoopla is about. Unless it's strictly the raw power of 335HP (with a 400+HP version coming soon) and the 0-60 times of ~5-seconds in a sedan! Heck, the GTO would be a better choice, in my opinion, now that it has it's hood scoops! ;-)

ugliest cars since the Gremlin! Methinks the misnomer "Hemi" may have more to do with the sales of these 2 products than their design. Sad really.

Thank god I'm not alone. the 300M is the UGLIEST car I've seen in awhile, so is the magnum.

I'm still amazed that a car as ugly as the 300M can sell so well because people have been duped into thinking it has a hemi under the hood. It makes me wonder if the AMC Pacer and Gremlin would be collector cars if "HEMI" had been written on the fenders. NAW!!!