GM needs a new word

Page 2 of 2
What is selling the 300 car is VALUE. It has the superior handling of RWD and at a better price. One can buy a V8 300 with a five speed automatic for the price of a smaller loaded FWD V6
Camry. The 300s V6 is even less expensive ;)
mike hunt
StingRay wrote:

Methinks it's a bit early to conclude that the 300C is "VALUE" for the money, in the absence of a track record of quality or reliability. "Perceived VALUE" perhaps, but "VALUE", I question. But this thread was talking about the so-called "HEMI". The "HEMI" moniker has more to do with perceived performance than "VALUE". ;-)

Yes but getting a V8 with 345 HP driving the right set of wheel for the price of a 220 HP V6 driven the wrong set of wheels in the VALUE many buyers prefer, when it come to Chrysler, whether you agree or not. The RWD 300 is far outsell the old FWD 300. ;)
mike hunt
StingRay wrote:

Stranger things have either turned on or turned off public perception of a vehicle. I had almost forgotten about those cars. I'm having a flashback now to that old George Burns/John Denver movie "Oh God!" Didn't Denver's character drive one of those?

James, I'm too young to remember that movie! ;-) Yah, right! I still remember an aunt of mine remarking that the Pacer looked like a pregnant lady-bug.

I happened to be visiting a friend in Syracuse, New York when I first saw that movie in the theater. Geez....that must have been around spring 1977 or so, I'd say.
A lady-bug is as good of a description as any. Definitely odd.

I don't like the look of the 300 or Magnum either, but then I think the Dodge trucks look absurd as well.
The formula for modern design success is to produce a polarizing design which at least 20% of the potential buyers think is absolutely great. Ideally half the people absolutely love it and half the people absolutely hate it.
Speaking of which, the Gremnin and it's sister the Hornet where not bad looking cars for their time and class at all. Now the Pacer :(.....
John
When I think of GM I think; Dexcool, Intake Manifold Leaks, Piston Slap and Legacy Costs
I own a 2001 Mali-Boo 51,000 miles w/ new Intake Manifold Gasket ($800), 3.1L V6 Pi$ton $lap; Major repairs contribute to Legacy GM costs.
Don't take this the wrong way, I just spent $3000 on a Chrysler Remanufactured Trans (A604). I used to think Chrysler="Best looking junk around", now I just think German and junk Transmissions.
I may break my lifelong Buy American trend and look at a Toyota.

That is what I did. Wife got a new Sienna, I got a new Tundra, my daughter got a used Camry. So far I'm very happy with our Toyotas.
Ex GM driver
Chuck in Phoenix

On Wed, 11 May 2005 22:15:42 -0700, Chuck wrote:

Change your oil and filter often and keep all of your receipts
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/toyota_engine.html
Then you need to think, over priced, under powered, bad dealers, head gasket and timing belt problem, trannys that slip, dash rattles, water leaks, warped rotor, and engine destroying OIL SLUDGE. Just a few of the problems that regularly surface in the Toyota NGs. No manufacture builds a perfect vehicle every time. They ALL build some that have problem on occasion. That is why they all have a warranty, even RR. The only real difference among them is style and price. ;)
mike hunt
Duane wrote:

I bought the '99 Camry for us to try and to see if Toyota really did build a better car. The car was old enough that it didn't cost that much to buy and if I wanted to sell it I wouldn't lose much. Further, if it sucked less to run Toyota than my other GM's, I would be happy. If Toyota sucked too then I would try Nissan or some other brand.
The good news is that Toyota made me happy.
For me the experiment was worth it, my Toyotas are not perfect, but they are far and away better than I expected.
YMMV,
Chuck in Phoenix

There is no way one can judge any brand, good or bad, by the ONE they have owned? Particularly if they bought that ONE used. When one buys a used vehicle there is no way of knowing how it was used or abused or whether it was serviced properly or not, get real.
mike hunt