GM not #1

Page 2 of 3
Mike Hunter wrote:

Why does it matter if the article mentions Europe or not? This article is talking about the worldwide market. From the article's title ("Volkswagen Steals Toyota's Crown as World's Largest Automaker"), one can surmise that Toyota was the world's largest automaker, but right now VW holds that distinction.
Also, here's an article from a couple years ago that says Toyota overtook GM in global vehicle sales: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18286221
So it seems that what has been said in this newsgroup is accurate. Toyota was #1, but at the moment VW is #1. World-wide, of course.
Eric
In car sales that is correct, but the auto manufacturers also sell light trucks. The largest market for light trucks is in the US, where the domestic rule and nearly 50% of the vehicles sold in the US are light trucks, where they make most of their money. VW and Toyota sell mostly small and midget cars around the world, that have a much lower makeup, and in a class where GM generally does not compete.

Mike Hunter wrote:

Green sky in your world, eh Mikey?
--

Islam Delenda Est

Mike Hunter wrote:

Okay, but I'm not really sure what you're getting at. VW and Toyota may sell mostly small and midget cars, but they apparently sell more of those world-wide than the light truck makers sell in the US. I had the impression that the article was talking about the world-wide market, not the US market.
Eric
The article said world-wide auto market, read cars. If trucks were included Toyota would be number one, way above VW. As to which particular vehicle is number one, in the US and world wide, it is the Ford F150 and has been for over thirty years.

Mike Hunter wrote:

Toyota does seem to sell a lot of trucks and SUVs in the US..
Indeed they do. but not anywhere near as many trucks as do the Domestic.
Toyota best selling vehicle is a car, the Camry. Its worst selling car sell at a better rate than the Tundra, however the sales of which have been dismal since day one.
On the other hand Ford and GMs best selling vehicle is a truck, both of which have sold at a rate nearly double that of the Camry.

GM is a loser.
Mike Hunter wrote:

Once again Canuck57 has said the sky is falling.

It is on GM USA.
Mike Hunter wrote:

Once again Canuck57 has told us the sky is falling.

Mike Hunter wrote:

Maybe you should rephrase that.
GM can't compete int eh small vehicle market because they make utter crap.
Vega, Firenza or Geo anyone?
I rest my case. Unless GM is going to import them from GM-Asia/Pac, they don't have a chance in hell.
Once again Canuck57 has told us the sky is falling.

Back peedling? Saving face?
GM slide to #3 and is on skid plates.
Admit it.
As for GM being #1 in the US, it isn't by much and falling. And it would be zero. Factor in this years bailouts to GM, it works out to a taxpayer debt funded subsidy of over $60,000.
How could even the inept GM fail with a $60,000 subsidy per vehicle. LMAO.
Mike Hunter wrote:

Once again Canuck57 has said the sky is falling.

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 22:54:20 -0500, Ed Pawlowski fired up the etcha-a-sketch and scratched out:

Yech!
So that means we'll be seeing a bunch of new air-cooled two door oval cars behind us.
I think I ran over a VW bug once. I know I hit something and eventually I found a small metal emblem with a wolf and a castle in my front wheel well.
It looked like this:
http://tinyurl.com/yzqn3qb
: http://cache.jalopnik.com/assets / resources/2007/10/59_VW_Emblem_Wolfsburg.jpg
--
perfectreign
www.perfectreign.com || www.ecmplace.com
PerfectReign wrote:

What cars would those be? I don't think there are many car makers making air-cooled cars anymore..
On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 16:33:44 -0800, Eric O. fired up the etcha-a-sketch and scratched out:

http://www.avonhill.com/thumbnails/coupe_imported/1972_VW_Beetle.jpeg
--
perfectreign
www.perfectreign.com || www.ecmplace.com
PerfectReign wrote:

You had said "new" cars.. VW doesn't make that old-style Beetle anymore. I don't think VW makes any air-cooled cars anymore..
On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 23:14:17 -0800, Eric O. fired up the etcha-a-sketch and scratched out:

Erm, it was a joke.