GM or Toyota

Why is Toyota the subject of many recent post on a GM newsgroup?

Reply to
JimG

Because Obama is paying attention to these problems which Bush tried to bury...

From following link: "Six times since 2003 in fact, the safety agency opened inquiries into possible Toyota safety problems, and six times it closed them without any significant action. In 2008, for instance, the agency examined a request from the owner of a Toyota Tacoma pickup to investigate "sudden and uncontrolled acceleration." After a preliminary review, the safety agency concluded in a memorandum given to House investigators that: "In view of the need to allocate and prioritize N.H.T.S.A.'s limited resources to best accomplish the agency's safety mission, the petition is denied.""

Full story...

Bill

The only thing that Obama pays attention to is his teleprompter. Geeze, get off that "Blame Bush for everything" kick, and see the world as it really is.

Reply to
PeterD

That easy, Toyota loyalist are going into other brand NGs and bringing up their old recalls in an futile effort to divert attention from the fact that Toyota CURRENTLY is in the midst of the widest ranging world wide recall, ever since the various governments around the world enacted legislation to REQUIRE auto manufactures recall their dangerous vehicles.

The Tribune Newspapers reported TODAY that Toyota CURRENTLY has over

9,000,000 various and different types of vehicles, all around the world, that are CURRENTLY subject to safety recalls.

Customer complaints to the various governments have include, but apparently are not limited to, unintended acceleration, steering and brake problems and fires. Toyota problems range from the smallest of their vehicles all the way up to their luxury vehicles, hybrids and trucks

That is largest number of different types of vehicles, as well as the highest total number, ever recalled by ANY other vehicle manufacturer in history according the AP story.

I guess the Toyota loyalist are worried they may get injured or killed at worst and the retail value of their cars will plummet at best.

Reply to
Mike Hunter

And this explains why Toyota has become the main topic on a GM newsgroup?

Most other auto newsgroups discuss topics like: how to fix things, where to find parts, what new models will be like or, past owner experiences. There are some threads like these discussed on this GM newsgroup but they have become the minority.

Reply to
JimG

Don't you love it? Its Bush's fault. I hope the kooks are wearing their aluminum foil hats when the post LOL

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Did you see the billboard that has a picture of a smiling President Bush and it says "Are you missing me yet?" ;)

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Back in the day when NGs first started is was a forum for engineers and tech to exchange information. Those of us in engineering got to see what was happening in the field and the techs leaned what was behind the engineering. We learned from each other.

Eventually those looking for information on their own vehicle joined us. However most of the engineers and techs started to leave and go to our satellite systems for the information we had been exchanging, when the brand disparagers looking for a free of cheap fix for their worn-out vehicles, came along

Now the kooks have taken over. For example look in the cross posted Toyota NGs, it is filled with a bunch of political kooks who can not get anyone in real life to listen their nonsense

If you want to reply to the kooks, do what I do, delete your brands NG name from all of the cross postings, WBMA

Reply to
Mike Hunter

The worst part is I haven't seen the price of toyotas plummet yet.

As soon as the tacomas are worth the same as rangers and canyons, i'm buying a used one. unless the new values plummet too!

Reply to
Mudflap

A friend, a very strong democrat sent me 15 political cartoons. Funny thing, half were anti-Obama!

My favorite is the one of a carwash, with the caption "And for an additional $5, we can remove the Obama sticker..."

Reply to
PeterD

Well, I've always taken this group to be really just 'alt.autos.gm.politics' where the '.politics' bit got deleted by error somewhere along the line!

Reply to
PeterD

Bullshit. Ford had a recall of 12M vehicles for exploding cruise controls.

Reply to
Hachiroku

I dno't know if Tacomas are covered under the recall.

Bad frames, yes...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Thanks I'll pass. Didn't like Toyotas before the recall, don't like 'em now. Their trucks have always been a joke.

BTW, I heard on the news that Kelly Bluebook has revised many Toyota prices downward as demand plummets.

Reply to
Tom W. Butts

In message , PeterD writes

Bush is to blame, who else do you think authorised the last two illegal wars? That man's got at least 600,000 civilian deaths on his head.

Reply to
Clive

In message , Mike Hunter writes

Or perhaps it's just that they're global with a car that passes the criteria of all governments whereas for instance the EU is very strict on what cars can be sold in it's area, which is why firms like Ford and GM have to make a totally different product for the EU.

Reply to
Clive

That why they don't sell US designed cars there?

The UK version of the Escort was pretty close to the US version. OTOH, GM had to buy Vauxhaul to get an 'in' in European markets.

I've heard they're junk, too...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Smear campaign. GMers want to deflect the GM screw ups thinking it will help GM dismal sales.

To propel the obvious victimization of Toyota. Maybe Toyota should just close up operations in North America and unemploy a bunch more. Maybe close down for a month and ask the governments to stop price cuting with GM subsidies and corruption or we leave.

Good part is, 2010 is going to be an unpopular year for democrats to explain why they subsidised $60,000 for ever GM made in 2009. So asking for more now means some of the crooked senators and congress people hopefully will get turfed in November.

Reply to
Canuck57

A large part of why there are different cars for different markets is that the markets have different needs. The Japanese and European markets have fuel that is like 3 or 4 times higher than the price of fuel in the US. SO fuel economy is more important than in the US. In addition, both Europe and Japan are much more interested in fuel economy than we are in the US. In both markets, there is less room for cars, so smaller cars are more useful.

And, besides this, the people have different tastes. In the US, for years people have liked big boat-type cars. In Europe, people have preferred smaller, more nimble cars. For example, Olds was advertising that it had the first 4-wheel independent suspension car made in the US in 1987 or 1988. The Peugeot 504 on which I learned to drive had four-wheel indpendent suspension 13 years earlier.

And the emissions and safety requirements are different, too.

Jeff

Reply to
dr_jeff

We need to fix GM by shuting them down. No more bailouts on the backs of taxpayers. And pay back or die.

GM is a scum bag corporation expecting taxpayers to bail them out.

That is what needs a fixing.

Want this out of GM groups, fine, get GM (and other corrupt corporations) the hell out of my pocket.

Otherwise, GM can take the heat.

Reply to
Canuck57