GM or Toyota

Page 1 of 4
Why is Toyota the subject of many recent post on a GM newsgroup?

Because Obama is paying attention to these problems which Bush tried to bury...
From following link: "Six times since 2003 in fact, the safety agency opened inquiries into possible Toyota safety problems, and six times it closed them without any significant action. In 2008, for instance, the agency examined a request from the owner of a Toyota Tacoma pickup to investigate "sudden and uncontrolled acceleration." After a preliminary review, the safety agency concluded in a memorandum given to House investigators that: "In view of the need to allocate and prioritize N.H.T.S.A.'s limited resources to best accomplish the agency's safety mission, the petition is denied.""
Full story... http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/10/business/10safety.html
On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 04:32:44 -0800, "Bill"

The only thing that Obama pays attention to is his teleprompter. Geeze, get off that "Blame Bush for everything" kick, and see the world as it really is.
Did you see the billboard that has a picture of a smiling President Bush and it says "Are you missing me yet?" ;)

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 11:17:56 -0500, "Mike Hunter"

A friend, a very strong democrat sent me 15 political cartoons. Funny thing, half were anti-Obama!
My favorite is the one of a carwash, with the caption "And for an additional $5, we can remove the Obama sticker..."

Bush is to blame, who else do you think authorised the last two illegal wars? That man's got at least 600,000 civilian deaths on his head.
--
Clive

writes

But what does that have to do with Toyota recalls?
writes

What's the difference? Either subject is off-topic.
writes

And this explains why Toyota has become the main topic on a GM newsgroup?
Most other auto newsgroups discuss topics like: how to fix things, where to find parts, what new models will be like or, past owner experiences. There are some threads like these discussed on this GM newsgroup but they have become the minority.

Back in the day when NGs first started is was a forum for engineers and tech to exchange information. Those of us in engineering got to see what was happening in the field and the techs leaned what was behind the engineering. We learned from each other.
Eventually those looking for information on their own vehicle joined us. However most of the engineers and techs started to leave and go to our satellite systems for the information we had been exchanging, when the brand disparagers looking for a free of cheap fix for their worn-out vehicles, came along
Now the kooks have taken over. For example look in the cross posted Toyota NGs, it is filled with a bunch of political kooks who can not get anyone in real life to listen their nonsense
If you want to reply to the kooks, do what I do, delete your brands NG name from all of the cross postings, WBMA

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 11:14:10 -0500, "JimG"

Well, I've always taken this group to be really just 'alt.autos.gm.politics' where the '.politics' bit got deleted by error somewhere along the line!
We need to fix GM by shuting them down. No more bailouts on the backs of taxpayers. And pay back or die.
GM is a scum bag corporation expecting taxpayers to bail them out.
That is what needs a fixing.
Want this out of GM groups, fine, get GM (and other corrupt corporations) the hell out of my pocket.
Otherwise, GM can take the heat.
On 10/02/2010 9:14 AM, JimG wrote:

Don't you love it? Its Bush's fault. I hope the kooks are wearing their aluminum foil hats when the post LOL

I wonder if Obama expects us to believe that bush has signed the checks in the last 13 months of $2 Trillion debt spend.
Omaba plays people for fools.
On 10/02/2010 9:15 AM, Mike Hunter wrote:

That easy, Toyota loyalist are going into other brand NGs and bringing up their old recalls in an futile effort to divert attention from the fact that Toyota CURRENTLY is in the midst of the widest ranging world wide recall, ever since the various governments around the world enacted legislation to REQUIRE auto manufactures recall their dangerous vehicles.
The Tribune Newspapers reported TODAY that Toyota CURRENTLY has over 9,000,000 various and different types of vehicles, all around the world, that are CURRENTLY subject to safety recalls.
Customer complaints to the various governments have include, but apparently are not limited to, unintended acceleration, steering and brake problems and fires. Toyota problems range from the smallest of their vehicles all the way up to their luxury vehicles, hybrids and trucks
That is largest number of different types of vehicles, as well as the highest total number, ever recalled by ANY other vehicle manufacturer in history according the AP story.
I guess the Toyota loyalist are worried they may get injured or killed at worst and the retail value of their cars will plummet at best.

The worst part is I haven't seen the price of toyotas plummet yet.
As soon as the tacomas are worth the same as rangers and canyons, i'm buying a used one. unless the new values plummet too!
On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 10:18:50 -0800, Mudflap wrote:

I dno't know if Tacomas are covered under the recall.
Bad frames, yes...
On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 10:18:50 -0800 (PST), Mudflap

Thanks I'll pass. Didn't like Toyotas before the recall, don't like 'em now. Their trucks have always been a joke.
BTW, I heard on the news that Kelly Bluebook has revised many Toyota prices downward as demand plummets.

Well, that may actually make them a good buy! My biggest complaint about Toyotas is that they are over priced compared to other vehicles that are similar in quality and performance. In my opinion Toyota has enjoyed an undeserved reputation for exceptional quality for several years. I don't think Toyota builds bad vehicles any more than other main line manufacturers, but I don't think they build exceptionally good vehicles either. As a friend of mine said, Toyotas are extra-ordinary, not extraordinary....
Ed