GM or Toyota

Page 4 of 4

Fixed it for you.
On 02/14/2010 07:14 AM, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

impressive - fixing a congenital idiot!
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

On 10/02/2010 6:44 PM, Hachiroku ハチロク wrote:

I drove a GM-Vauxhal in 1981 while I was in the UK. Nice ride. The sister car n North America was a olds Firenza. The Firenza was a POC by comparison. Only the same in shape. Parts were of lower quality, poor assembly, wasn't the same engine nor tranny. Even the paint finish was sub-par to the Euro version. Real poor vehicle.

The 1981 Firenza wasn't a Vauxhall. It was a Monza/Vega/Abortion. A 1972 Viva HC (Magnum) was a better car. It was rather "basic" but it did the job, well, for a lot of years. ALso sold as a Firenza - but Pontiac, not olds. And it was MADE in old Limey.
writes

Vauxhall and Opel are really the same arm of GM where in England Ellesmere Port, make all the Astra's for both Marques and Luton Make all the vans for both marques. Factories around Europe make different models like Germany produces the Corsa with both badges, It's just that all the output of the combined factories make the full range and in Britain all the cars sold are all badged as Vauxhall, whereas in the rest of Europe the standard brand name is Opel. Where "Which?" Divides cars into five categories from very good to very poor,Vauxhall/Opel come out at the bottom of average.
--
Clive

And just when, for the information of others on this list, did that happen?????? LONG before the Escort came on the scene in England.

And the Vauxhaull/Opel is one of the best car lines you can buy in Europe. They were not a BAD car on this side of the pond either - at least not the Vauxhall. Never had Opels in Canada to any extent, just like the US didn't get many Vauxhaulls.
My last Vauxhaul was a 72 Viva HC Magnum rebranded as a Pontiac Firenza. GREAT little car.As long as you remembered it was a british car, not a Pontiac, and serviced it accordingly.

On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 20:51:29 -0500, clare wrote:

Opel sent some of their cooler cars here, the Manta 2 door coupe, and the GT, which was way cool. I almost bought one but it was in too rough shape for my limited skills at the time.
snip

snip
I thought Toyota's goal was to be number one...and so they are!
On 10/02/2010 12:25 AM, JimG wrote:

Smear campaign. GMers want to deflect the GM screw ups thinking it will help GM dismal sales.
To propel the obvious victimization of Toyota. Maybe Toyota should just close up operations in North America and unemploy a bunch more. Maybe close down for a month and ask the governments to stop price cuting with GM subsidies and corruption or we leave.
Good part is, 2010 is going to be an unpopular year for democrats to explain why they subsidised $60,000 for ever GM made in 2009. So asking for more now means some of the crooked senators and congress people hopefully will get turfed in November.

Not really hard to answer, just takes a little time.
Go back two or three years ago, in this newsgroup, before GM's bankruptcy and Obama takeover, when they were still solidly the number one auto company in the world, in terms of sales.
GM bashers constantly came over here with their incredible stories of how, their Toyota or Honda went 300,000 miles and never saw the inside of a mechanic's shop, while the 1981 Chevy Citation they bought broke down before they got if off the dealer's lot.
We used to hear it a lot.
You used to hear Toyota owners coming over here bragging about how much better gas mileage they got, even though it wasn't true..
Toyota owners would come over here informing us about Consumer Report's latest findings that a 1992 Chevy Lumina or 1993 Pontiac Grand Prix had "poor fit and finish", while the Toyota Camry was "flawless".
As Toyota closed the gap and eventually over took GM in total world=wide sales, the GM bashers gleefully posted here keeping us posting in monthly and yearly sales regarding Toyota vs. GM.
Their joy could not be contained when GM filed for bankruptcy and the Obama admistration took over.
Of course, as the world-reknowned Jeremiah Wright would say, "the chickens have come home to roost"
Toyota has had Millions on millions on millions of recalls.
The number is growing almost daily.
They are in a bad way, no doubt about it.
Yet, the Toyota guys, now come over here defending her, (and their), honor.
They scream (and look stupid doing so), that Toy is still a better product than GM
Even cry that the US government is the reason for the problems that Toyota has.
Me, I simply think that in the end, what goes around comes around.
Reap what you sow, Toyota.

So true now that GM is dead and gone there is nothing really to talk about. Why not talk about something else.
The airplane industry is going through the same problems in europe as GM. Overstaffed and overprotective government keeping bad companies alive.
The new companies are growing lean and mean while the old have six to ten times as many staff as the new ones with a multiply sorts of airplanes while the new ones have only one or two types.
The similarities with GM vs the better upstarts is striking.
On 10/02/2010 11:46 PM, Bjrn Helgason wrote:

Correct. GM & Chrysler are as good as walking dead.
The second wave of the depression is starting and it is going to take down more banks and even countries. Even if Greece gets a bailout, it is like paying a credit card with a credit card. The root causes of gross over spending and worshiping of debt is still there an out of control.
Governments all over are getting worried, as their own debts are now a problem to their size. As each one falls, the ponzi debt moves around to get the next one.

It is quite interesting to note that the economies that are fairing best in Europe are Greece and Germany. They are on the opposite side of the scale as far as black market and corruption are concerned. Greece can easily get out of trouble by correcting their books a little bit. They are quite well off but the official numbers are pretty low. The same is true for all the PIGS - Portugal, Italy, Greece and Spain. All around the Mediterranean they get a lot of sun worshipers and are flooded with black money.
On 12/02/2010 3:43 AM, Bjrn Helgason wrote:

Temporary. In face Greece social unrest has already started. Not paying back debt is theft.

I am sure the black market is alive in both countries.

Cooking or correcting? They are well into a structural deficit. Short of shuting down the government for a decade, they can't pay back the debt now. Imagine a country where only the tax collectors are working in government.

Would not doubt it. Perpetual debt is the end of a country, just takes time to be realized.

Lots of similarities between GM and GM
Greece Management and Government Motors that is
On 13/02/2010 5:08 PM, Bjrn Helgason wrote:

I was asked the other day, "What should I do in this recesion?".
My reply is make darn sure you keep a positive cash flow. Everyone getting wiped out is a debtor loser, debt monger, debt worshiper, or loser trying to stay afloat with more debt.
This has a lot longer to go yet, in fact this depression has just started.
Love the anology... Greece Management and Government Motors

"Dead and gone?" I didn't know that. Last I heard, they were still making a few million vehicles.
And recalling less than the total number they sold.

On a GM group??????

In message

I need to differ with you, I've got a Toyota Auris SR180, It's what us English would call a small family car, or I suspect you would call it a sub-compact. It develops 178bhp and does 44mpg around town and 65mpg on the motorway (freeway) to you. If it develops any faults, I'll let you know.
--
Clive

call it penis envy