GM: Possible pitfalls could derail rebound

Page 4 of 6

This guy is a perennial twinkie. Absolutely no credibility whatsoever.
I have just now killfiled him again. Not the first time, but have a new computer.
His circumciser just threw away the wrong piece, I guess.

I just don't get why Hunt bothers to come here. Even if he did know all that he claims (which I doubt), if his attitude is "if I don't get paid, I ain't helping", then why come to a group like this one, whose primary function is to help others solve problems? Hell, even when he posts about the auto industry in general, he has not once (that I have ever seen) posted proof of anything he has said. It is my opinion that "Mike Hunt" is an 60 year old man, with no wife, kids, or life at all. He spends his days going to his local Library or Internet Cafe to come onto Usenet and be an ass. Now, there is anything wrong with being 60, having no wife, kids, or life, but the last part gets annoying.
I look in on many auto NGs, I spend a few minutes reading and at times posting on some subjects, but I certainly do not hang in any one. What I do notice is the same people are in them day after day at all hours of the day commenting on most every subject. I only comment when I see posts that are based on half truths and erroneous opinions, to try and set the record straight. What I post are the things I know to be factual based on my nearly 60 years working all three sides of the automotive business. You are free to except what I post or if you do not want to believe what I post do you own search. You will not see me call anybody, who disagrees with what I post, a moron or such because they do not agree. I could not care less what anybody chooses to believe or not believe.
I will be eighty two in a few weeks, I have an engineering degree in metallurgy and worked for thirty years as a both a field engineer at Pennsylvania VW plant and as a design engineer for GM and Ford, the last fifteen years I worked helping in designing crumple zones.
After I retired I was Group Sales Manager for one to the largest mega-dealership groups on the east cost that operated melt-franchised stores in six eastern states, and sold just about any brand you can name. I also established my fleet service business that serviced thousand of vehicles, both domestic and foreign, used by large and small corporate fleets, as well as federal state and locale governmentsin those six eastern states for over ten years.

Stop, you're killing me. Seriously. You're freakin' hilarious.
nate

You are so funny They do not LOL

Back in the day the NGs were a place where we engineers and technicians exchanged ideas as well as offering solutions to each others questions and problems. We never asked one to prove what they had told us and we only sighted sources when they need to go there for MORE information and may be allowed access. Oven the years most of those with whom I conversed left because the NGs were becoming a place where people were looking for a free or cheap fix for their old worn out cars. If I would read a post from one who obviously knew nothing about cars or have the ability to correct their problem I would suggest they take the vehicle to a competent technician with the proper equipment to diagnose their problem and allow him to correct it for them. If i did that I was jumped on by some people in the NG when in fact that was the best advice for that individual. How many times have your read advice in the NGs today that is way wrong as a solution?
Back in the late fifties, when I owned a Toyopet, there was no source for information. When the net came around the Toyota NG was a great source for information from techs for the few people that owned them, today that NG is primarily a political debating room for the kooks. and that's sad.
One can use what I tell them to broaden their knowledge or they can ignore me, I could not care less, but I seldom see anybody showing me where I have been wrong and if they do, I will admit I was wrong. What generally happens is they start calling anybody who does not share their personal opinion names or resorting to vulgarities.
Many of the things I know, I know from experience, or from sources that require a password etc. I.E. Since I was in the fleet service business I have access t o manufactures sites that I could not direct someone else to search without reveling my password. The average person can not get into Toyotas "Dealer Daily or Ford Star, I can.
The average person does not spend over a $100 to subscribe to "Automotive News" or receive trade magazines like "Metal Making" as do I. How does one tell an other where to find all of the information from those sources? I can only suggest where one may find that information but I surly will not do a search on their behalf for something I know to be correct.

As I have said many times you can believe what I say or not. I have many sources but if you think I should spend my limited to do a search to find a site to verify what I know to be fact, so you can go to that site to verify what I know to be true, it's not going to happen. I have giving sources where one came search if one wants more information but that the end of it. Do you own search, if that does not suit you, to bad. The Congressional Record is the largest library in the world with a wealth of information on most every subject. The Smithsonian Institution and the Franklin institute in Philadelphia is another source for all types of information. Try searching there for what ever you want if you can't afford to subscribe to industry publications like "Automotive News."

I think I just figured out your biggest problem. You have no idea how to use the Internet, do you Mike? You say I should go to the Smithsonian or the Franklin for information. Why not a simple http:// Internet address? You know what, Mike? You keep spouting your crap all across Usenet. From what I can gather, 99% of people on this NG have killfiled you anyways. I was simply trying to teach you a little Usenet Courtesy, but you will have nothing of it. That's ok. Just don't expect anyone to take you seriously until you find some way to prove your "facts".

Look at it this way. Mike is defending silly decisions the management is making all the time. Either he is a member of the management team or just stupid which amounts to the same category. It is good to have that view defended but I do agree it would be interesting to get some real information why management makes such mistakes over and over again. There is no question that Gm did a lot of right things in the earlier days and became very very big. Somewhere along the line they began to make mistakes that got them into the situation it is in today. In management books this phenomen is known and companies follow this pattern and even the biggest companies can die. It can be very difficult to stay big for a long time. When the surround changes and new technology comes along and the management is too busy and incompetent to see it. At the current time in the lifetime of Gm there are so many things wrong that even with competent leaders there is not much that they could do. They are trapped in the net of UAW and dealers with contracts that may have seemed like a good idea a long time ago.
That might have been a more ligament perception of what was happen at GM fire years ago but that is far from what is happen today. If you doubt that, take a look at GM stock prices. Apparently, the market does not agree with your assessment
wrote:

[...]
A guess we can assume when you said "you can't use it" you must have meant you personally, since no one else seem to have a problem using it as an emergency brake LOL

Go ahead, let's find a beat up GM car with that style parking brake, I'll cut your brake lines and let you go out on the highway and kick it up to 65 MPH. then you try to stop with that parking brake. I'll even adjust it first so it works. Don't worry, if you're stupid enough to try it I'll have the ambulance waiting. Would be safer (for you, not the car) to simply throw it into park while the car is moving.
I'll give you $100 if you can avoid spinning. seriously.
nate
Mike hunt wrote:

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

You're right, I've never tried putting a GM automatic in reverse at speed. Question remains, with GM's stupid "parking brake" NOT a proper "emergency brake" let's say I have a base brake failure. How do I stop the damned car? Answer the question. We all know who knows about cars and who doesn't.
nate
Mike hunt wrote:

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Since that is a question, only in your mind, you have to be the one to answer that question. If it were me, and my hydraulic brakes failed, I would use simply use the one that is designed to be used in an emergency, the parking brake. ;)

And how do I do that, since I can't modulate it? Simply step on it and ride it out when the rear wheels lock up? Slam it to the floor briefly, kick it again, hope that the car is not too out of shape at that point and then try to use it properly? (assuming that I have the presence of mind to actually do that in a panic situation)
Admit it, GM is letting idiots tell them what to do, some focus group probably said that oh my God, having to reach down to use a lever to release the parking brake is too hard, and this is the half baked "solution" that they came up with. Never mind that foot operated parking brakes are crap to begin with, but again, the focus groups probably say that cupholders and a fold down armrest are more important than a proper emergency brake (never mind that Porsche solved this problem decades ago by putting the lever on the left hand side.)
If you think that this push on, push off abortion was actually DESIGNED to be used in an emergency, that speaks volumes about how much you actually know about cars and driving. (as in, less than is contained in this post.)
Of course, in real life, my parking brake is out of adjustment more often than not, so what would really happen is the foot pedal would go to the floor and the car would kinda sorta slow down and if I was in heavy traffic I'd either sail down the shoulder for a good long way, or if there is no shoulder probably hit someone/thing.
nate
Mike hunt wrote:

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
When I teach a class at a race track, or teach a school at a university, I am compensated handsomely. I doubt' you could afford one of my classes.
There are driving schools where one can learn how to properly operate an automobile and its equipment. Bob Bondurant operates schools at race tracks around the country, they are a great place to learn defensive driving as well. I sent all of my children and grand children to his schools. A bit expensive, but one saves on insurance as well as "saving" their a$$ down the road. ;)