GM: Possible pitfalls could derail rebound

Page 5 of 6
Mike hunt wrote:

Pics or it didn't happen. The more you post the more I think that you may have never looked under a hood in your entire life.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Well, I believe that you are full of shit and 95% of what you post is complete fabrication.
If you don't care, why do you keep responding?
nate

Simply to remind you I don't care what you think, so why do you continue to tell we what you think LOL

Ya right.

I dont know if you are "complete", or simply a very accomplished one. Nate may well be correct, however.

Define import and domestic please. Some of Ford is an import, some Buicks are imports, Toyota and Hyundai Sonata are domestics.
My reference was to models offered by import and domestic manufactures. Domestics being US base corporations v non US based manufactures

Given the cross breeding of cars and countries, I don't think it is very easy to state that imports or domestics are superior/inferior over the other. Agree they are all pretty good.
Anyone that remembers the 50's and 60's may also remember that when you bought a new car, it went back to the dealer a week or two later with a list of repairs needed that numbered from 10 to 30 items. If you were lucky, the dealer fixed half, covered up another 25%, ignored the last 25%. Then you went back in another month with a couple more problems.
Those days are gone. Of my last 4 cars, the 3 GM cars went back with two, one, two problems that did not surface until a year later. My USA built import has not been back yet after 15 months and 32,000 miles.
As for the 20% price premium you assign to imports, I'd have to disagree. My USA built import is about 20% lower than a comparably equipped "domestic" car with the same equipment and features.
That may be your opinion but obviously you have not tried to get a total drive home price of a new car lately. The 20% to 30% premium comes from my ten year experience as Group Sales Manager for one of the largest mega dealership groups on the east cost. We sold just about every brand you can name. We consistently earned 20% to 30 % more on import brands than domestic, of the same size and similarly equipped.
I remember when the warranty was 1,000 miles or thirty days, WOF ;)

So you guys were gouging on import prices, huh?
A 1000 mile warranty is a measure of the manufacturer's confidence in his product.:>(
No it is not gouging, it simply it is giving less of the profit because it simply easier to get more money out of the average import buyers because they think imports are "better."
We sold Toyota and Honda, it several of our stores, both of whom always tout their resale value, but we never needed to pay even wholesale to get Toyota or Honda buyers to buy another Toyota or Honda. Import buyers will except more of the dealership high profit add on's as well. If you doubt that, look at the NADA listings for wholesale and retail prices on the average domestic and the average import. The difference between them is larger profits to the dealership ;)

A little dishonesty is okay, huh? That is, sincerely, the GM way.

Yeahbut he was talking about the Honda and Toyota dealerships doing that - not the GM dealerships. Sincerely - the Honda and Toyota way.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

It was my impression that they were selling Hondas and Toyotas out the door of the same dealerships that he always brags about. And that may have been an unjust comment.
Duh! Some people are you that slow. We WERE Toyota and Honda dealerships. What part of mega-dealerships group did you not understand? The partners owned twenty six stores in six eastern states that sold all of the brands made by GM, Ford. Chrysler, Toyota, Honda, VW, MB, as well as the Korean brands. The Toyota and Honda "way" is the same "way" as any every other brand and that is to make earn the highest gross as possible on every sale, get real.
That attitude proves my point, that import buyers believe the cars and dealership are "better" and the reason were able to earn a higher gross on Toyotas and Honda sales. No only did we earn more on the sale, shop rates are much higher at import brand stores as well LOL

So, you were able to gouge higher prices for the imports. You and your pocket should have been satisfied. If the customer were satisfied, what are you running your gums about?
Some imports have a higher confidence level than some domestics. Some of us who have had long term unsatisfactory products and service from domestics certainly began to look for a better answer. Whether we got it or not, we got tired of being screwed over by GM or Ford or Chrysler.
The media says that GM has improved. Good thing! It was about time!!
Now that they have gotten some kudos, will they continue to improve and regain some credibility for the long term, or will they go back to behaving like s**t-eating dogs??? Time will tell.

Domestic = Profits stay in North America Import = Profits go to Japan
80 Knight wrote:

Suffering from cranial rectal inversion?
--
Civis Romanus Sum

Wow, I didn't know that profits from the sale of imports like Jaguar and Mercedes went to Japan.