GM power locks problems - 93 Corsica

I am trying to fix the power locks on a '93 Corsica I just bought. The problem is when you push the lock/unlock button, the locks just move a little bit, not enough to actually lock or unlock the door. I do notice that it takes some amount of force to manually move the locks, but I don't know if it takes more than it should.

I took one of the door panels off so I could lube things up. But it's impossible to get to the actual lock mechanism, it's inside the door near the latch. It appears the door is all one piece, so I don't know how you would get in there. I sprayed lots of oil up into that corner in an effort to lube it up. I think the lock moved a little better after this. But the actuator still couldn't move the lock. So I put a tiny hole in the rubber boot on the actuator and sprayed a bunch of oil in there. Then it was able to lock/unlock the door. I put the door back together, and it was able to lock/unlock a few more times, then it didn't have enough power to do it again.

What could be the problem here? As I watched the actuator move, it didn't seem like it didn't have enough power, it seemed like it wasn't moving far enough. When I grabbed the plunger with a plyers and moved it all the way in and out, it would work the door lock mechanism just fine.

I really don't want to have to replace the actuators (I have this problem on all 4 doors) so I hope that is not the problem.

BTW, does anyone know how to get the window crank off? I couldn't get the door panel all the way off because I couldn't get the window crank handle off.

The car has 127K on it and it was very dusty inside the door.

I did find this thread

) about power locksnot working in many GM vehicles, but it did not list the Corsica. Thanks,

-Ryan

Reply to
Ryan

Sounds like it needs to be lubed. To remove handles, use a cloth slipped under the center hub of the handle and pull the cloth back and forth. These is a little horseshoe-shapped clip on the hub. And yes, they do make a special tool to remove the clips. Try spraying some Tri-Flow oil in the mechanism, it may help.

Reply to
Rich B